Benchmarking the Internal Storage
We already know that half the I/O pipeline is fairly stout, but if the storage devices chosen to be put inside are subpar, then it can severely impact your enjoyment of the system. Imagine having to wait for a slow disk-based drive to spin-up and seek out the proper files to start a game. Thankfully, they've seen fit to include an NVMe 1.2 compliant Samsung 950 Pro SSD and a separate storage drive that happens to be a Seagate hybrid drive, though that addition of flash storage for caching doesn't always have an immediate, or large, effect on performance.
The combination means that everyday tasks can be loaded incredibly rapid when needed and that there's plenty of room to store your game library on the internal storage drive. There's plenty of room to upgrade, too, and it's easy to plop in another, or a larger, HDD to suit your needs. Keep in mind that with a hybrid drive, the more you open something, the more likely it'll be cached in the flash area and thus the higher the transfer speeds for those items. With only the mechanical portion being accessed, these speeds aren't terrible at all. Not great, but not bad.
Benchmarking the External Thunderbolt/USB Storage
With USB 3.1 Type-C and the numerous USB 3.0 ports along the exterior, there are plenty of expandability options should you need them. To test external file transfers, I took 8.81GB of 207 mixed files that are on a USB 3.0 enabled external SSD and transferred them, noting the average speed it was able to maintain throughout the full transfer.
It's difficult to test USB 3.1 Type-C due to the limitations of current SATA 3.0 speeds, so the difference is negligible. The real benefit is the ability to daisy chain, output video with audio, and just have more connected via that one port. That is until I can manage to get a RAID 0 external enclosure to properly test the speeds set up.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, and Availability & Price]
- Page 2 [Specs, Configurations Available, and Warranty & Support]
- Page 3 [Detailed Look, Outputs & Connectivity]
- Page 4 [Display, Keyboard, and Trackpad]
- Page 5 [Speakers and Sound]
- Page 6 [Everyday Use]
- Page 7 [Gaming Use at 1080p]
- Page 8 [Gaming Use - VR]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks – CPU & RAM]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks – Internal Storage & External Storage]
- Page 11 [Power Consumption & Battery Life]
- Page 12 [Thermal & Sound Testing]
- Page 13 [What's Hot, What's Not, & Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Knack 2 place further emphasis on 2 player co-op
- Rocket League gets a new map and a DLC car
- Battlefield 1 dev said shovel digging might come back
- South Korea is getting an online version of Titanfall
- Artificial intelligence creates a (bad) Christmas song
- Gigabyte gaming 5 z170mx cant enable raid need help
- ASUS UX305UA - time till boot starts varies a lot
- Ga z170m d3h ddr3-cf seek bios non-k_oc and kaby_support
- ROCCAT SOVA MK Gaming Lapboard Review
- ASRock 990fx extreme4 & Fast- Ultra Fast Boot Issues
- ENERMAX launches REVOLUTION SFX, with the highest wattage 650W full modular SFX Model in standard 100mm depth
- Intel Extreme Masters Season 11 finals confirmed for two weekends in March with more than $600,000 in prizing
- Ultimate Media Ventures teams up with The Coalition for sanctioned December 18 Gears Of War 4 Pro-Am eSports Battle On The Strip Event
- Thecus introduces Scale-Out architecture to meet rising enterprise storage demand
- Plantronics launches RIG 800 series - first 24-hour wireless gaming headset