In has become clear that in a single graphics card situation, such as using the ATI range of current graphics cards that do not offer SLI capabilities, choosing a chipset has become somewhat simpler. nVidia's nForce 4 Ultra series chipset is virtually identical to that of the nForce 4 SLI chipset, however, the SLI functions have been disabled through removal of a resistor on the chip package.
With this regard, the remaining features are identical, meaning the performance should be identical, which we have proven there is no great advantage of the SLI board when using a single graphics card. The only real advantage of the SLI version is you can add an extra graphics card later if you find yourself with extra money to spend.
nForce 4 Ultra also has another attractive feature, a smaller price tag. With nForce 4 SLI being aimed at the high-end users, it naturally has a higher price tag. This price hike (while small) simply doesn't make any sense, since the only difference that the PCI-E x16 Aux slot is disabled by removal of a resistor on the nForce package.
EPoX has done a pretty good job with the 9NPA+ Ultra, with only a few design layout flaws, we recommend this motherboard as one of the better non-SLI AMD configurations which we have tested so far. It's worth some consideration, that's for sure.
Supports AMD Athlon 64 x2 (with BIOS update)
Onboard Gigabit Ethernet
Combination SATA/PATA RAID
Cheaper than SLI version
Placement of the Power and FDD connectors not good enough
Rating - 8.5 out of 10
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Xbox boss says the PS4 has a 'huge lead' over the Xbox One
- Half-Life 3 teased in a recent update to Dota 2
- Naughty Dog: around 80% of PS4 gamers 'have never played Uncharted'
- Elon Musk refers to Apple as 'Tesla's graveyard'
- Sony started working on PlayStation VR in 2010
- Fatal1ty Gaming K4- can't get BIOS to update
- Z170 gaming K4-DOS Bios file name more than 8 characters
- Slow performance on new RAID array after cloning old array?
- Connection questions Z170 Extreme 6+ motherboard
- Asrock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K6 won't POST when loading XMP Profile for G-Skill Ripjaws V 3200Mhz Black DDR4
- EVGA Gives Away Free Cooler Shroud Replacement to its HYBRID Series Owners
- Shuttle Offers Value Priced XPC Nano Small Form Factor PC
- MSI Announces the DS502 7.1 Gaming Headset with Active Noise-Cancelation
- Netgear Introduces Quad-Mode Business-Class Wireless-AC Access Points
- Nokia announces planned leadership and organizational structure for combined Nokia and Alcatel-Lucent