When the smoke clears and the dust settles, we find ourselves faced with a very workable solution for giving life to that old hard drive sitting on the shelf. Whether you just want some extra storage space or are looking for a place to store files away from the family computer, the NexStar 3 worked flawlessly. I'm still a little disappointed with the lack of Firewire support, but that can't be helped. The numbers still allow you to use your external drive as you would a normal one.
As far as price is concerned you can find them online for about US$40, so it isn't out of line at all. If you happen to have more than one spare hard drive you'd like to use in this manner, you can utilize more than one of the NexStar units. As long as you have USB ports and drive letters to spare, you can add drives. Also of note is that the spec sheets do not include any upper limit on hard drive size for the unit. Considering older revisions were approved for 400GB models, if you can install it, you can use it.
Bottom line... If you have been looking for a means to put those spare drives to use and prefer an external solution to this problem, take a look at the NexStar 3 from Vantec. It is fully USB 2.0 compliant and offers better data transfer speeds than past models. If you're wanting Firewire support, however, you'll need to look elsewhere.
Faster USB transfer rates
Very simple installation and use
No IEEE1394 Firewire support
Rating - 9 out of 10
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Sony is working on a Remote Play app for Windows and OS X
- Acer Predator gaming notebooks feature i7-6700HQ, 980M, 4K, G-SYNC
- AMD says price drop on their GPUs isn't their doing
- Multiple Instagram accounts now supported on Android
- Make us an awesome TweakTown wallpaper, win a Corsair Hydro H110i GT
- Sharp GX-BT7 2.1-Channel Wireless Bluetooth Speaker Review
- D-Link DCS-2630L 1080p Ultra-Wide View IP Wi-Fi Camera Review
- ID-Cooling Frostflow 240L CPU Liquid Cooler Review
- Lexar JumpDrive M20i 32GB OTG iOS Flash Drive Review
- Gibabyte GA-Z170X- Gaming 7 Supported RAM (2 x16Gb or 4 x 8GB) ?
- Team Group Announces Neptune Gaming SO-DIMM Memory
- Cooltek Announces the Skall Series ATX Mid-tower Chassis
- Eurocom offers $500 USD off Black Friday & Cyber Monday deal for EUROCOM Sky X9 Desktop Laptop with Intel Skylake desktop class CPUs and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Desktop GPU and 64 GB DDR4 memory
- MSI @ DREAMHACK WINTER 2015
- ADATA Releases the Lightning Card Reader