When the smoke clears and the dust settles, we find ourselves faced with a very workable solution for giving life to that old hard drive sitting on the shelf. Whether you just want some extra storage space or are looking for a place to store files away from the family computer, the NexStar 3 worked flawlessly. I'm still a little disappointed with the lack of Firewire support, but that can't be helped. The numbers still allow you to use your external drive as you would a normal one.
As far as price is concerned you can find them online for about US$40, so it isn't out of line at all. If you happen to have more than one spare hard drive you'd like to use in this manner, you can utilize more than one of the NexStar units. As long as you have USB ports and drive letters to spare, you can add drives. Also of note is that the spec sheets do not include any upper limit on hard drive size for the unit. Considering older revisions were approved for 400GB models, if you can install it, you can use it.
Bottom line... If you have been looking for a means to put those spare drives to use and prefer an external solution to this problem, take a look at the NexStar 3 from Vantec. It is fully USB 2.0 compliant and offers better data transfer speeds than past models. If you're wanting Firewire support, however, you'll need to look elsewhere.
Faster USB transfer rates
Very simple installation and use
No IEEE1394 Firewire support
Rating - 9 out of 10
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Chrome is Windows 10 users' browser of choice
- MIT students build Jetson TK1 racecars for final assignment
- HBO Now comes to Roku
- Facebook expanding Like button feature with 'Reactions'
- Fallout 4 PC requirements revealed
- Got a Gaming 9 ACK X99S MSI MB to trade ..
- Bootloop Issue with GA-Z97N-WiFi even after RMA
- D-Link DCH-S160 mydlink Wi-Fi Smart Home Water Sensor Review
- ga-z170x-UD5 m.2 raid and intel rst drivers will not let me install windows to the raid
- X99 Extreme 4 and Thunderbolt
- EVGA Gives Away Free Cooler Shroud Replacement to its HYBRID Series Owners
- Shuttle Offers Value Priced XPC Nano Small Form Factor PC
- MSI Announces the DS502 7.1 Gaming Headset with Active Noise-Cancelation
- Netgear Introduces Quad-Mode Business-Class Wireless-AC Access Points
- Nokia announces planned leadership and organizational structure for combined Nokia and Alcatel-Lucent