When the smoke clears and the dust settles, we find ourselves faced with a very workable solution for giving life to that old hard drive sitting on the shelf. Whether you just want some extra storage space or are looking for a place to store files away from the family computer, the NexStar 3 worked flawlessly. I'm still a little disappointed with the lack of Firewire support, but that can't be helped. The numbers still allow you to use your external drive as you would a normal one.
As far as price is concerned you can find them online for about US$40, so it isn't out of line at all. If you happen to have more than one spare hard drive you'd like to use in this manner, you can utilize more than one of the NexStar units. As long as you have USB ports and drive letters to spare, you can add drives. Also of note is that the spec sheets do not include any upper limit on hard drive size for the unit. Considering older revisions were approved for 400GB models, if you can install it, you can use it.
Bottom line... If you have been looking for a means to put those spare drives to use and prefer an external solution to this problem, take a look at the NexStar 3 from Vantec. It is fully USB 2.0 compliant and offers better data transfer speeds than past models. If you're wanting Firewire support, however, you'll need to look elsewhere.
Faster USB transfer rates
Very simple installation and use
No IEEE1394 Firewire support
Rating - 9 out of 10
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- AMD Ryzen CPU combo with Corsair AIO cooler on Amazon
- Samsung's Galaxy S8+ sports huge 6.2-inch display
- Samsung's new Exynos 9 chip: 4K 120FPS camera tech
- The latest photos and details on AMD Radeon Vega
- AMD reboots itself with Ryzen, and Vega is next
- ASUS MAXIMUS IX FORMULA A2 Error Code with Hardware Component Failure Beeps
- Does anyone from Thermaltake view this forum anymore?
- Is any one from Thermaltake viewing this forum anymore?
- Lian Li A61 5.25 devices
- Z270 Supercarrier - blackscreen 09/d0, cannot switch to backup BIOS
- Innovation and competition return to high-performance PCs March 2nd with worldwide AMD Ryzen 7 availability
- Final Fantasy awarded Guinness World Records title for most prolific role-playing game
- InstaVR launches publishing compatibility with HTC VIVE, cnabling companies to create high quality long-form VR video applications
- Transcend announces Ultimate UHS Video Speed Class 30 (V30) microSD cards to support 4K Ultra HD video recording
- Final Fantasy XIV Fan Fest culminates with the journey eastward in Stormblood