When the smoke clears and the dust settles, we find ourselves faced with a very workable solution for giving life to that old hard drive sitting on the shelf. Whether you just want some extra storage space or are looking for a place to store files away from the family computer, the NexStar 3 worked flawlessly. I'm still a little disappointed with the lack of Firewire support, but that can't be helped. The numbers still allow you to use your external drive as you would a normal one.
As far as price is concerned you can find them online for about US$40, so it isn't out of line at all. If you happen to have more than one spare hard drive you'd like to use in this manner, you can utilize more than one of the NexStar units. As long as you have USB ports and drive letters to spare, you can add drives. Also of note is that the spec sheets do not include any upper limit on hard drive size for the unit. Considering older revisions were approved for 400GB models, if you can install it, you can use it.
Bottom line... If you have been looking for a means to put those spare drives to use and prefer an external solution to this problem, take a look at the NexStar 3 from Vantec. It is fully USB 2.0 compliant and offers better data transfer speeds than past models. If you're wanting Firewire support, however, you'll need to look elsewhere.
Faster USB transfer rates
Very simple installation and use
No IEEE1394 Firewire support
Rating - 9 out of 10
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Andy Rubin's Essential phone is stunning and powerful
- ASUS ROG Strix XG32VQ: 31.5-inch 1440p 144Hz FreeSync
- GALAX GeForce GTX 1070 Katana: hands-on with the ninja
- GALAX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti HOF Limited Edition detailed
- GALAX shows off GTX 1080 Ti HOF OC Lab Edition
- Intel Introduces X299, Kabylake-X, and Skylake-X
- Lian Li PC-Q25B - distance between stand and edge of case
- LaCie Bolt3 2TB Thunderbolt 3 Review
- Asrock X99 Extreme11 reports only 48GB instead of 64 GB
- H270m Pro4 Can't boot with my SSD, stuck on splash
- HyperX expand DDR4 memory with higher density kits up to 4,000MHz
- Western Digital to deliver world's first client solid state drives with 64-layer 3D NAND technology
- Qualcomm fuels IoT growth by currently delivering more than 1 million chips a day into a wide range of connected applications
- Team Group announces theme for COMPUTEX 2017 showcase: go beyond the limit and reach for the top
- SAPPHIRE announces PULSE Radeon RX 560 graphics card