When the smoke clears and the dust settles, we find ourselves faced with a very workable solution for giving life to that old hard drive sitting on the shelf. Whether you just want some extra storage space or are looking for a place to store files away from the family computer, the NexStar 3 worked flawlessly. I'm still a little disappointed with the lack of Firewire support, but that can't be helped. The numbers still allow you to use your external drive as you would a normal one.
As far as price is concerned you can find them online for about US$40, so it isn't out of line at all. If you happen to have more than one spare hard drive you'd like to use in this manner, you can utilize more than one of the NexStar units. As long as you have USB ports and drive letters to spare, you can add drives. Also of note is that the spec sheets do not include any upper limit on hard drive size for the unit. Considering older revisions were approved for 400GB models, if you can install it, you can use it.
Bottom line... If you have been looking for a means to put those spare drives to use and prefer an external solution to this problem, take a look at the NexStar 3 from Vantec. It is fully USB 2.0 compliant and offers better data transfer speeds than past models. If you're wanting Firewire support, however, you'll need to look elsewhere.
Faster USB transfer rates
Very simple installation and use
No IEEE1394 Firewire support
Rating - 9 out of 10
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Palmer Luckey spends money on pro-Trump 'meme magic'
- The biggest telescope begins its search for alien life
- Want to play Battlefield 1 early? Prepare for October 13
- Huawei and Leica establish new R&D center for VR and AR
- How you can become a hacker's worst nightmare
- Mirror's Edge Catalyst Graphics Performance Tweak Guide
- Prepping LGA2011 Build
- Unable to find BIOS update for motherboard
- Lian Li O Series Multiple Expansion card support
- asrock fatality h170 performance red light on bios and not monitor output no beeps
- Antec and Razer team up to co-brand a new Mini-ITX gaming chassis
- Samsung Electronics accelerates the NVMe era for consumers with its highest performing 960 PRO and EVO Solid State Drives
- Lighting is in the Aer: NZXT launches Aer RGB, premium LED PWM fans
- Syber Gaming delivers VR and 4K-ready 'C Series' small form factor gaming PC
- HyperX Gears of War gaming headset shipping now