The nVidia 6600GT GPU core has been the biggest success story for nVidia in quite some time. The GeForce 6 family has become a breath of fresh air for a company struggling to keep its biggest competitor, ATI, off their back.
When ATI released the Radeon 9xxx, GeForce FX certainly took a nose dive in performance and sales, especially due to the overheating cores and vacuum sounding coolers that were needed in order to keep the card cool. GeForce 6 made a huge power boost for the nVidia team, though there has been some controversy with its 6800 family and the broken support for Purevideo, but we won't get into that today - we are here to talk about the most popular core, the 6600GT.
6600GT was introduced to the market as the first PCI-Express native solution for the mid-range graphics card market, and hasn't it grown from there. Designed on the latest 0.11um process with support for SLI, it has become the video card of choice. Designed to work with PCI-E from the start, nVidia used its HSI bridge in order to convert the PCI-E signals the core uses into AGP signals that various AGP enabled motherboards still use. This has now made the 6600GT a possibility on AGP enabled systems.
Today we take a look at Gigabyte's retail offering of the 6600GT AGP edition and compare it to the reference video card to see just what (if any) speed advantages have come since the introduction of the reference card and then compare it to the PCI-Express edition.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Gigabyte 6600GT AGP - Page 1 [Introduction]
- Gigabyte 6600GT AGP - Page 2 [Specifications and The Card]
- Gigabyte 6600GT AGP - Page 3 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and 3DMark Series]
- Gigabyte 6600GT AGP - Page 4 [Benchmarks - Doom 3]
- Gigabyte 6600GT AGP - Page 5 [Benchmarks - Half Life 2]
- Gigabyte 6600GT AGP - Page 6 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Gigabyte 6600GT AGP - Page 7 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- ARK cross-platform play on PS4 and PC BLOCKED by Sony
- Microsoft builds its own AI hardware: Project Brainwave
- HP Omen X gaming notebook: GTX 1080, 120Hz LCD, more
- Final Fantasy XV doesn't need 170GB HDD space on PC
- Bungie couldn't get Destiny 2 to hit 60FPS on consoles
- Killer Networking - Killer control center new version (Z97X Gaming 5)
- GIGABYTE X399 AORUS Gaming 7 TR4 Motherboard Review
- Linksys WRT32x AC3200 Wireless Gaming Router Review
- Massive drop in temps by lowering "VCCPLL OC" in BIOS: Is the reported temperature correct?
- Intel details 8th Generation Core CPUs with Kaby Lake-R
- Micron appoints Anand Jayapalan as Storage Business Unit Vice President
- Bluehole, Inc and Microsoft announce expanded partnership for PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds
- Optimize system performance with new drive adapter
- Lian Li reveals new PC-Q39 tempered glass Mini-ITX tower
- Longsys' world-first 11.5x13mm NVMe BGA SSD drives new mobile user experience