The nVidia 6600GT GPU core has been the biggest success story for nVidia in quite some time. The GeForce 6 family has become a breath of fresh air for a company struggling to keep its biggest competitor, ATI, off their back.
When ATI released the Radeon 9xxx, GeForce FX certainly took a nose dive in performance and sales, especially due to the overheating cores and vacuum sounding coolers that were needed in order to keep the card cool. GeForce 6 made a huge power boost for the nVidia team, though there has been some controversy with its 6800 family and the broken support for Purevideo, but we won't get into that today - we are here to talk about the most popular core, the 6600GT.
6600GT was introduced to the market as the first PCI-Express native solution for the mid-range graphics card market, and hasn't it grown from there. Designed on the latest 0.11um process with support for SLI, it has become the video card of choice. Designed to work with PCI-E from the start, nVidia used its HSI bridge in order to convert the PCI-E signals the core uses into AGP signals that various AGP enabled motherboards still use. This has now made the 6600GT a possibility on AGP enabled systems.
Today we take a look at Gigabyte's retail offering of the 6600GT AGP edition and compare it to the reference video card to see just what (if any) speed advantages have come since the introduction of the reference card and then compare it to the PCI-Express edition.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Gigabyte 6600GT AGP - Page 1 [Introduction]
- Gigabyte 6600GT AGP - Page 2 [Specifications and The Card]
- Gigabyte 6600GT AGP - Page 3 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and 3DMark Series]
- Gigabyte 6600GT AGP - Page 4 [Benchmarks - Doom 3]
- Gigabyte 6600GT AGP - Page 5 [Benchmarks - Half Life 2]
- Gigabyte 6600GT AGP - Page 6 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Gigabyte 6600GT AGP - Page 7 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Germany to Facebook: Stop collecting Whatsapp user data
- OBS Studio adds support for AMD Video Coding Engine
- Halo 5, Forza Horizon 3 first games with Microsoft DRM
- How to get 1TB of lifetime cloud storage for only $39
- NASA finds strong evidence of water plumes on Europa
- GA-EX58-UD3R Vt-d support
- Seagate IronWolf 10TB NAS HDD Review
- Fitbit Charge 2 Fitness Band Review
- Samsung 850 EVO 4TB SATA III SSD Review
- Mirror's Edge Catalyst Graphics Performance Tweak Guide
- Antec and Razer team up to co-brand a new Mini-ITX gaming chassis
- Samsung Electronics accelerates the NVMe era for consumers with its highest performing 960 PRO and EVO Solid State Drives
- Lighting is in the Aer: NZXT launches Aer RGB, premium LED PWM fans
- Syber Gaming delivers VR and 4K-ready 'C Series' small form factor gaming PC
- HyperX Gears of War gaming headset shipping now