10 Cloverfield Lane (2016)
Producer J.J. Abrams owns a well-deserved reputation of surprise, recently reinforced following the reveal of a sequel to the 2008 sci-fi found film epic Cloverfield, dropped via the release of a mysterious trailer which barely hinted at the film's plot. That trailer quickly stoked disparate questions and theories about exactly how 10 Cloverfield Lane fits with its predecessors, with seemingly no suggestions too outlandish. Well, luckily the wait wasn't too long (I, for one couldn't stand it), and the film's here and with it are all the answers. Well, most of them anyway.
After severing her relationship with her fiancé, Michele (Mary Elizabeth Winstead) takes a drive while reports filter in over the radio of power outages and disturbances. Following a brutal accident which rams her vehicle off the road, she later wakes in a dank cellar, chained to the wall.
Howard (John Goodman) explains that he rescued her during an attack, which ended civilization and has forced them to live in his underground bunker. Joined by young local Emmett (John Gallagher Jr), who helped build the shelter, Michele is confused and untrusting of the version of events she's been told and promptly plots her escape to the outside world.
Starting life as the self-contained thriller The Cellar, with absolutely no links to the Cloverfield mythos, J.J. Abrams saw the potential in John Campbell and Matt Stuecken's script, promptly bringing it under the umbrella of his production company Bad Robot, making a few changes and slapping the Cloverfield badge on it. Would it have been equally as compelling in its original form? Sure. But are more people interested in seeing it as a result? You betcha - and that's not a bad thing at all.
Warning: Spoilers ahead...
For a film in which the vast majority takes place in some very tight confines, 10 Cloverfield Lane lives or dies based on the strength of its performances, and the film soars with some excellent casting decisions. John Goodman, in particular, shines in the role of mysterious benefactor Howard, who may or may not be the kind hearted soul that he portrays himself. Is he insane or are his ominous warnings of the outside world based on fact?
Goodman's carefully measured performance goes a long way to preserving the truth right until the end. Far more than a mere passive victim, Mary Elizabeth Winstead imbues her heroine with equal parts resourcefulness, and vulnerability, and gives the audience plenty to latch onto, as her battle for survival becomes ever more desperate. I've also no doubt that 10 Cloverfield Lane will prove the breakout role for John Gallagher Jr, who's character's history with Howard gives cause for alarm.
The question on everyone's lips is just how 10 Cloverfield Lane fits in with its predecessor. The truth is - it doesn't really at all. In ditching not only the found film premise of the original Cloverfield, but also the characters, the monster and well, the entire genre as well, 10 Cloverfield Lane has precious little in common with the original. Perhaps the events of this film take place concurrently? With no point of reference, we can only speculate. Ultimately, 10 Cloverfield Lane is a high profile, but economical experiment in film marketing and its branding is superfluous. Whatever the film was called, it would be equally as riveting and nail-biting, with a film that surpasses its predecessor in every way - whatever its relationship actually is.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- $32 million of Ethereum stolen by hackers
- Fake AMD Ryzen CPUs have been sent by Amazon
- Avast acquires CCleaner and Speeccy developer Piriform
- Ubisoft hints AC Origins' RPG elements will be monetized
- Google Pixel XL 2 looks amazing in the new concept video
- Cryptocurrency mining deflates, used GPUs hit eBay
- G.SKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3600 32GB Memory Kit Review
- ASRock X299 Taichi Motherboard Review
- Transcend ESD220C 120GB Portable SSD Review
- Need help getting backup bios to work z77 d3h
- Atari announces Blade Runner 2049 partnership with NECA and Audiowear, launching wearable technology that blurs the line between fashion and future
- BIOSTAR introduces the world's first 8-slot PCI-e mining motherboard with the TB250-BTC+
- HyperX unveils HyperX Alloy Elite and TKL HyperX Alloy FPS Pro mechanical gaming keyboards
- Toshiba Memory Corporation develops world's first 3D flash memory with TSV technology
- ADATA releases XPG GAMMIX line with S10 PCIe Gen3x4 NVMe 1.2 SSD and D10 DDR4