This test applies 1.4v VCore measured, and then I try to get the highest possible validation frequency. The Z170-WS does 5GHz just like most other motherboards.
On the Z170-WS, I was able to run 4.8GHz core, 4.2GHz cache, and DDR4 2666MHz as a stable overclock. This board overclocks very easily.
I measured the VCore manually at the output capacitor of the CPU VRM; I measured at many different levels so you can reference them. I will say that CPU-Z is not accurate enough for this motherboard, it reports VCore lower than what is applied.
Compatible Memory Overclocking Kits
Test 1: 4x8GB (32GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666MHz C16
The board was able to boot up on four of these sticks at XMP without issue.
Test 2: 2x4GB (8GB) G.Skill Trident Z 3733MHz C17
This motherboard booted this 3733Mhz TridentX kit up very nicely. I do recommend that users stick with ASUS's memory compatibility list when using memory with this motherboard because my Dominator Platinum 3200MHz kit did not work, but it also is not on the list.
PRICING: You can find the ASUS Z170-WS (Intel Z170) Motherboard for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The ASUS Z170-WS (Intel Z170) Motherboard retails for $399 at Amazon.
United Kingdom: The ASUS Z170-WS (Intel Z170) Motherboard retails for £327 at Amazon UK.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging and Z170-WS Overview]
- Page 3 [ASUS Z170-WS Circuit Analysis]
- Page 4 [ASUS Z170-WS Circuit Analysis Continued]
- Page 5 [BIOS and Software]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup]
- Page 7 [Overclocking]
- Page 8 [CPU, Memory, and System Benchmarks]
- Page 9 [System IO Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [Thermal Imaging and Power Consumption]
- Page 11 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Zelda: Breath of the Wild has an awesome physics engine
- Hitman goes HDR on PC, PS4, Xbox One next week
- It's morphin time for new 'Power Rangers' trailer
- The Nokia 6 sells out in just one minute
- MSI reveals VR Jam winners
- How to prevent pc from waking up from sleep when a brown out occurs?
- Z170MX-Gaming 5 + i5 7600k.. Should work or not?
- ASRock 2.70 Splash Screen replaces Windows?
- bios update
- How to get larger than 2TB HD to work on GA-P35-DS4 Rev 2.0
- Transcend reveals industrial-grade SuperMLC JetFlash 740 USB flash drive for exceptional performance and endurance
- Light up your gaming with BIOSTAR B250 motherboard series
- MSI the pioneer in VR Gaming crowns winners of VR JAM
- NGE and Twitch partner to bring the Overwatch Winter Premiere Live Finals to PAX Arena at PAX South
- Bayview Labs, Seraph Group and MIT Game Lab announce 'Play Labs' VR/AR/AI Playful Tech Accelerator for MIT students and alumni