Maximus VIII Formula Circuit Analysis Continued
The audio on the Maximus VIII Formula is one of the main selling points for gamers, and ASUS has done a nice job. The ALC1150 is being enhanced by an ESS Sabre ESS9023P DAC, a dedicated clock, Nichicon Gold series audio capacitors, Texas Instruments R45801 amplifier, a sense pre-amp, and an NEC relay for de-pop. Overall it is quite nice for integrated audio, and similar in quality to other very high-end offerings such as the audio on the Maximus VIII Extreme. ASUS also decided to utilize Intel's USB 3.1 controller, the DSL6540 along with two EtronTech USB 3.1 power delivery and Type-C switch chips (EJ179S and EJ179V).
ASUS provides an Intel i219v as the LAN PHY to compliment the integrated NIC in the PCH. They also use an IDT 6V41538NLG for enhancing BLCK overclocking abilities.
An ASMedia ASM1184e is used to expand a single PCI-E 3.0 lane into numerous PCI-E 2.0 lanes for the PCI-E 1x slots and the Wi-Fi/BT card. The ASMedia ASM1042A is used as a USB 3.0 hub for some of the backpanel USB 3.0 ports, and an ASMedia 1443K is used as a level shifter for the HDMI 1.4 port on the backpanel IO.
I believe that this ROG chip is used for RGB LED control of the LEDs in the shield, the PCH, and the RGB header. Other ROG chips are used for ASUS ROG specific features like the Macro key functionality. The four ASMedia ASM1480s are used for switching PCI-E bandwidth between the first and second full sized PCI-E 16x slots.
The TPU chip is most likely for expanding fan control and temperature monitoring. The BIOS ROM is a 128Mbit (16MB) Winbond part and can be replaced by the user if required. A nuvoTon NCT6793D is the SuperIO and provides basic functionality for fan control and the PS/2 port on the IO panel.
These remaining ASMedia 1480 are used to switch 32Gb/s of PCI-E 3.0 between the M.2, U.2, and SATAExpress1 slots and two HSIO SATA/PCI-E ports between SATA6G_56 and the third PCI-E 16x slot( electrically 4x PCI-E 3.0). Two extra SATA 6Gb/s ports are provided by an ASMedia ASM1061 controller. A chip labeled BIOS provides USB BIOS Flashback functionality, allowing for simple BIOS recovery.
PRICING: You can find the ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Formula (Intel Z170) Motherboard for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United Kingdom: The ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Formula (Intel Z170) Motherboard retails for £311 at Amazon UK.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging and Maximus VIII Formula Overview]
- Page 3 [ASUS Maximus VIII Formula Circuit Analysis]
- Page 4 [ASUS Maximus VIII Formula Circuit Analysis Continued]
- Page 5 [BIOS and Software]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup]
- Page 7 [Overclocking]
- Page 8 [CPU, Memory, and System Benchmarks]
- Page 9 [System IO Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [Thermal Imaging and Power Consumption]
- Page 11 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Oculus Touch officially available as of today
- Samsung Galaxy S8 will not include headphone jack
- Apple hits record sales with their Apple Watch
- Uber is opening an advanced AI lab
- Surgeon Simulator ER is out on Steam and PSVR
- Will this Build be Quite, Small and powerfull ?
- Mouse skipping/jumping and audio stuttering
- [Bios problem, manual Vcore] Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 3-EU
- Strontium iDrive Nitro Lightning 64GB Card Reader Review
- Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z170 Fan control & PWM issue
- Micron accelerates adoption of all-flash data centers with highest-capacity enterprise SATA Solid State Drive
- ENERMAX launches REVOLUTION SFX, with the highest wattage 650W full modular SFX Model in standard 100mm depth
- Intel Extreme Masters Season 11 finals confirmed for two weekends in March with more than $600,000 in prizing
- Ultimate Media Ventures teams up with The Coalition for sanctioned December 18 Gears Of War 4 Pro-Am eSports Battle On The Strip Event
- Thecus introduces Scale-Out architecture to meet rising enterprise storage demand