Maximus VIII Formula Circuit Analysis Continued
The audio on the Maximus VIII Formula is one of the main selling points for gamers, and ASUS has done a nice job. The ALC1150 is being enhanced by an ESS Sabre ESS9023P DAC, a dedicated clock, Nichicon Gold series audio capacitors, Texas Instruments R45801 amplifier, a sense pre-amp, and an NEC relay for de-pop. Overall it is quite nice for integrated audio, and similar in quality to other very high-end offerings such as the audio on the Maximus VIII Extreme. ASUS also decided to utilize Intel's USB 3.1 controller, the DSL6540 along with two EtronTech USB 3.1 power delivery and Type-C switch chips (EJ179S and EJ179V).
ASUS provides an Intel i219v as the LAN PHY to compliment the integrated NIC in the PCH. They also use an IDT 6V41538NLG for enhancing BLCK overclocking abilities.
An ASMedia ASM1184e is used to expand a single PCI-E 3.0 lane into numerous PCI-E 2.0 lanes for the PCI-E 1x slots and the Wi-Fi/BT card. The ASMedia ASM1042A is used as a USB 3.0 hub for some of the backpanel USB 3.0 ports, and an ASMedia 1443K is used as a level shifter for the HDMI 1.4 port on the backpanel IO.
I believe that this ROG chip is used for RGB LED control of the LEDs in the shield, the PCH, and the RGB header. Other ROG chips are used for ASUS ROG specific features like the Macro key functionality. The four ASMedia ASM1480s are used for switching PCI-E bandwidth between the first and second full sized PCI-E 16x slots.
The TPU chip is most likely for expanding fan control and temperature monitoring. The BIOS ROM is a 128Mbit (16MB) Winbond part and can be replaced by the user if required. A nuvoTon NCT6793D is the SuperIO and provides basic functionality for fan control and the PS/2 port on the IO panel.
These remaining ASMedia 1480 are used to switch 32Gb/s of PCI-E 3.0 between the M.2, U.2, and SATAExpress1 slots and two HSIO SATA/PCI-E ports between SATA6G_56 and the third PCI-E 16x slot( electrically 4x PCI-E 3.0). Two extra SATA 6Gb/s ports are provided by an ASMedia ASM1061 controller. A chip labeled BIOS provides USB BIOS Flashback functionality, allowing for simple BIOS recovery.
PRICING: You can find the ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Formula (Intel Z170) Motherboard for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United Kingdom: The ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Formula (Intel Z170) Motherboard retails for £311 at Amazon UK.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging and Maximus VIII Formula Overview]
- Page 3 [ASUS Maximus VIII Formula Circuit Analysis]
- Page 4 [ASUS Maximus VIII Formula Circuit Analysis Continued]
- Page 5 [BIOS and Software]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup]
- Page 7 [Overclocking]
- Page 8 [CPU, Memory, and System Benchmarks]
- Page 9 [System IO Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [Thermal Imaging and Power Consumption]
- Page 11 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Samsung's Galaxy Tab S3 with stylus introduced at MWC
- Did you want a Nokia Android smartphone? Here are three!
- Huawei unveils the Watch 2 and Watch 2 Classic
- Enter the 'Doctor Strange' world in our Blu-ray giveaway
- Huawei unveils the P10 and P10 Plus
- Will the PC-Q17 ever be released in the U.S?
- Blind BIOS update both backup and main BIOS chips are empty
- Main and backup BIOS are damaged or wipped
- Halo Wars 2 Xbox One Review
- Asus Zenfone 2 Laser 5.5s rear camera is not working
- Dolby Laboratories and LG Electronics announce first smartphone to support Dolby Vision
- Meet the HUAWEI P10, a stunning combination of technology and art
- Samsung expands tablet portfolio with Galaxy Tab S3 and Galaxy Book, offering enhanced mobile entertainment and productivity
- Razer releases power bank smart charge mobile accessory
- LG unveils new G6 with a large fullvision display tailored to fit in one hand