Inside the Attack X3
Removing a few of the key caps we see that each key is molded with an opaque white plastic, which is then painted black to hide the LED lighting from view, except for where the legends are left blank to allow it to pass through each key.
Under the caps, we find Cherry MX blue switches, each with an individual LED. For the larger keys like the shift and space bar, the torsion bars are hidden under the aluminum plate and are not attached to the key caps, making them easy to remove without potentially breaking tiny clips that hold the ends of the bars.
The front edge of the top does not remove from the larger base section of this keyboard. The bottom section is ribbed to support the plate and eliminate any flex to the aluminum, but the back section comes off to allow the plate to be lifted and slid away from the front section for removal.
The PCB inside of the keyboard has a quality solder job done to the switches and the LEDs. However, only the majority of the PCB has been cleaned of residue, leaving a few like those at the front edge with flux residue plainly visible.
Because of the way the internals are connected, to remove the larger PCB, we also had to remove the section under the mute, volume down, and volume up keys. Plain to see are the contacts for rubber dome switches, rather than seeing this trio sporting mechanical switches.
In control of the device and offering the unspecified amount of onboard memory for the trio of profiles to be stored onboard is this 16-bit MCU made by SinoWealth. This is the first we have seen this MCU, but considering what features the Attack X3 offers, this is more than capable of covering everything it needs to do.
Once the Attack X3 was assembled again, we powered it up to check things out. We find the red LEDs, while not so photogenic, are brilliant, and the entire keyboard lights up in three brightness levels, off, or in a breathing mode. The lock keys in this design are only illuminated while active.
PRICING: You can find the Cougar Attack X3 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The Cougar Attack X3 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard retails for $99 at Amazon.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Ben Affleck's solo Batman movie will arrive in 2018
- Battlefield 1's new update includes SLI fixes, and more
- Nintendo Switch accessories begin to get detailed
- 'Transformers 5' gets first trailer, explosions ensue
- PS4 Pro dev kit auctioned with 800GB of encrypted data
- Strontium iDrive Nitro Lightning 64GB Card Reader Review
- Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z170 Fan control & PWM issue
- Gigabyte gaming 5 z170mx cant enable raid need help
- ASUS UX305UA - time till boot starts varies a lot
- Ga z170m d3h ddr3-cf seek bios non-k_oc and kaby_support
- Micron accelerates adoption of all-flash data centers with highest-capacity enterprise SATA Solid State Drive
- ENERMAX launches REVOLUTION SFX, with the highest wattage 650W full modular SFX Model in standard 100mm depth
- Intel Extreme Masters Season 11 finals confirmed for two weekends in March with more than $600,000 in prizing
- Ultimate Media Ventures teams up with The Coalition for sanctioned December 18 Gears Of War 4 Pro-Am eSports Battle On The Strip Event
- Thecus introduces Scale-Out architecture to meet rising enterprise storage demand