This is where you can fast forward to the final section of the review, and get a quick recap and points on the NVIDIA Shield.
Unrivaled Performance: The performance from the NVIDIA Shield is courtesy of the Tegra X1 processor which offers unrivaled performance. We have a 256-core Maxwell-based GPU that provides some insane gaming power from something so small.
Capable of 4K Playback: 4K playback is a big deal these days, and even if you've got a 1080p TV, buying the NVIDIA Shield allows you to be 'future-proof' in a way. If you're like me and rock a 4K TV already, buying the NVIDIA Shield is a no-brainer.
Super Easy to Use: Even my Mom can use it, and she doesn't own a smartphone - so she's not used to all of this technology. She uses Netflix and YouTube with the NVIDIA Shield, rocking the awesome remote without a problem. Shout out to you, Mom! Keep being awesome with the NVIDIA Shield!
Slick Design: I'm a huge fan of the design that NVIDIA has used on the Shield, which is the best-looking STB I've laid my eyes on.
Connectivity: It has super-fast 802.11ac Wi-Fi which rocks at 5GHz on a fast connection, allowing fast buffering and 4K streaming. Not only is the Wi-Fi awesome, but there's wired GbE connectivity if you want the absolute best in networking connectivity.
Great Price @ $199: Sure, the Amazon Fire TV is only $99, but it doesn't hold a torch to what the NVIDIA Shield can do. For $199, you're getting an insanely powerful, 4K-capable STB that also doubles as a gaming beast.
Power Off Issues: My NVIDIA Shield wouldn't shut down some of the times, which was weird. I would navigate to the "Sleep Now" part, click it, with my TV going black and the Shield turning off for a few seconds. It would then instantly wake up with the green light on the Shield indicating so, and push me back to the Shield home screen.
The only way around this was to pull the power plug from the back of the Shield, which is something I shouldn't have to do - and don't like to do. I guess this will be fixed in a future firmware release, which shouldn't be too far away.
PRICING: You can find the NVIDIA Shield for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The NVIDIA Shield retails for $196 at Amazon.
United Kingdom: The NVIDIA Shield retails for £150 at Amazon UK.
Canada: The NVIDIA Shield retails for $289 CAD at Amazon Canada.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- New Call of Duty set in WWII?
- Gionee launches A1 in India
- Samsung to disable charging on remaining Galaxy Note7s
- New Tekken 7 trailer shows off devastating combos
- Xiaomi Mi 6 and Mi 6 Plus pricing leaks
- TPM issue with 970-D3P
- Extreme9 3 way crossfirex
- Kingston HyperX Savage 64GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Review
- AnyRactive GoTouch Portable Whiteboard Review
- NZXT Kraken X42 Liquid CPU Cooler Review
- Elgato Stream Deck brings tactile control to live content creation
- COLORFUL wins innovation award from Intel
- Composer Olivier Deriviere pioneers real-time generated interactive music for GET EVEN
- BIOSTAR launches compact high-speed storage solution with M200 M.2 SSD
- EpicGear launches MORPHA X RGB fully modular gaming mouse