While many storage appliances that run through the lab are focused towards prosumers and small business, there are a few that are aimed at budget-minded consumers. Synology has dedicated the "play" lineup to this cause producing full-featured appliances without the extra cost and at times a little less horsepower under the hood.
Such is the case with the appliance in house today; the DS216play is built upon a relatively new platform that I have yet to see in any other appliance. Of course, that doesn't mean this NAS is any less capable as Synology does claim this unit can handle real-time 4K transcoding and performance numbers in the realm of 107 MB/s read and 91 MB/s write.
Diving into the specifications of the DS216play, we find the brain of the operation at the top of the list, the ST Microelectronics STiH412. This SoC operates at 1.5GHz and boasts two ARM Cortex A9 cores with 1GB of DDR3 RAM.
Maximum internal capacity is listed at 16TB using 8TB HDDs while external connectivity includes both USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports along with a single gigabit Ethernet port. With this NAS solution being part of Synology's value lineup, the price certainly matches up as this two-bay DS216play appliance carries an MSRP of $249.99 with a two-year warranty.
PRICING: You can find the Synology DS216play Two-Bay Consumer NAS for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The Synology DS216play Two-Bay Consumer NAS retails for $269 at Amazon.
United Kingdom: The Synology DS216play Two-Bay Consumer NAS retails for £193 at Amazon UK.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Apple copies Samsung again, with exploding iPhone 7 Plus
- Microsoft admits PCs have 'eclipsed' consoles
- Civilization VI and Deluxe pre-order deals now available
- Spotify in 'advanced talks' to buy SoundCloud
- Hardware Deals: i5-6600K nears $200, GTX 1070 under $350
- ASUS X99-Deluxe II Motherboard Review
- U.2 Kit on Taichi
- Z170X-Gaming 5 - Thunderbolt controller + Intel RST drivers issue.
- Palit GeForce GTX 1070 GameRock Premium Edition Review
- GA-EX58-UD3R Vt-d support
- Antec and Razer team up to co-brand a new Mini-ITX gaming chassis
- Samsung Electronics accelerates the NVMe era for consumers with its highest performing 960 PRO and EVO Solid State Drives
- Lighting is in the Aer: NZXT launches Aer RGB, premium LED PWM fans
- Syber Gaming delivers VR and 4K-ready 'C Series' small form factor gaming PC
- HyperX Gears of War gaming headset shipping now