4K Random Write/Read
We precondition the drive for 16,000 seconds, or 4.44 hours, receiving performance data every second. We plot this data to observe the test subjects descent into steady state. We plot both IOPS and Latency. We plot IOPS (represented by blue scatter) in thousands and Latency (represented by orange scatter) in milliseconds. We observe a steady state is achieved at 4,000 seconds of preconditioning for both drives. We also observe the tight consistent performance that Samsung SSDs are renowned for.
With our configuration, the SM863 performs right at Samsung's 28K sustained random write specification across the board. Samsung SSDs hit maximum random write performance at QD1, which is in contrast to the M510DC that hits its stride at QD4 and above. The PM863 is performing better than specification, coming in at about 19.5K sustained random write performance. The PM863 performs much better than the 845DC EVO it is replacing. The M510DC displays robust random write performance, but still well below that of the SM863.
The SM863 hits its maximum performance at QD16, the PM863 at QD32. Both drives max out at about 98K. Both the SM863 and the PM863 handily outperform the M510DC and the 845DC EVO. In the case of 845DC EVO, the PM863 is outperforming it mainly because of a 200MHz core speed increase built into the drives "Mercury" controller.
Conclusion: The SM863 delivers class leading performance with superior consistency. The PM863 delivers a large increase in performance over the 845DC EVO that it is replacing.
PRICING: You can find the Samsung SM863 960GB Enterprise SSD for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The Samsung SM863 960GB Enterprise SSD retails for $571 at Amazon.
United Kingdom: The Samsung SM863 960GB Enterprise SSD retails for £497 at Amazon UK.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Discover the 'Secret Life of Pets' in our Blu-ray promo!
- PlayStation Plus Instant Game December line-up leaked
- Star Wars creator George Lucas 'really liked' Rogue One
- Facebook debuts 'Instant Games' app worldwide
- Knack 2 place further emphasis on 2 player co-op
- Gigabyte gaming 5 z170mx cant enable raid need help
- ASUS UX305UA - time till boot starts varies a lot
- Ga z170m d3h ddr3-cf seek bios non-k_oc and kaby_support
- ROCCAT SOVA MK Gaming Lapboard Review
- ASRock 990fx extreme4 & Fast- Ultra Fast Boot Issues
- ENERMAX launches REVOLUTION SFX, with the highest wattage 650W full modular SFX Model in standard 100mm depth
- Intel Extreme Masters Season 11 finals confirmed for two weekends in March with more than $600,000 in prizing
- Ultimate Media Ventures teams up with The Coalition for sanctioned December 18 Gears Of War 4 Pro-Am eSports Battle On The Strip Event
- Thecus introduces Scale-Out architecture to meet rising enterprise storage demand
- Plantronics launches RIG 800 series - first 24-hour wireless gaming headset