We like the feel of Topre switches still, and it does bring us back to when we looked at the Type Heaven. We understand that Topre switches are limited, and that drives up pricing, but also consider that Type Heaven is $30 cheaper now. That being said, our only valid complaint is the pricing of this NovaTouch, we just feel that $180 is asking a bit too much for everything it does. Never mind the cost of the custom caps, as you would eat that cost customizing any keyboard. We love the feel and honestly going from mechanical to this is an easy transfer and users will feel right at home. We also like that they were sure to define the secondary functions of the F-keys, because, without keycaps to tell you, many might not even realize they are there.
We have quite a few reviews under our belt with the NovaTouch TKL Barebone keyboard, and we have to say that we have not run into any issue with typing speed or the anti-ghosting not doing its job and locking keys out of use. This is a simple design without a bunch of bells and whistles, but it is very solid and has been a pleasure to use. This is also in large part to WASD Keyboards and their 87-key custom set they offered us. It also proves the statement that these Topre switches are in fact capable of using Cherry MX keycaps because this set from WASD is exactly built for Cherry switches.
As much as we love the idea of offering this sort of option to the mainstream user, and when something is first of its kind, it does tend to be expensive. You have to love Topre switches and the Cooler Master brand to go this route, though. Even accounting for almost $50 in caps, there are many more affordable options out there with minimal options and no backlighting or software.
In the end, as much as we would like to push you towards this sort of an option in keyboards, it just is not cost effective enough at this time to get our full recommendation on grabbing the NovaTouch TKL Barebone Premium keyboard. The key caps, completely worth it. Also, even though we currently have reservations, as time goes on, this is very well to be the way to go in the future.
Chad's Peripherals Test System Specifications
- Motherboard: ASUS X99-E WS - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- CPU: Intel Core i7 5930K - Buy from Amazon
- Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- Memory: KLevv Cras DDR4 3000 - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- Video Card: ASUS GeForce GTX 980 Matrix Platinum - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- Storage: Intel 730 480GB - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- Case: SilverStone TJ11 - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- Power Supply: Corsair AX1200 - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional 64-bit - Buy from Amazon
Product Summary Breakdown
|Quality including Design and Build||96%|
|Bundle and Packaging||93%|
|Value for Money||79%|
|Overall TweakTown Rating||90%|
The Bottom Line: Not the most affordable option, but the NovaTouch TKL Barebone Premium keyboard sets a new trend for the masses! This is the first we have ever seen a keyboard ship without keycaps, and allows customers to make it theirs in a completely custom way.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging, Accessories, and Documentation]
- Page 3 [Cooler Master NovaTouch TLK Barebone Premium Keyboard]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- First look at how Musk's underground tunnels might work
- Overwatch is now home to over 30 million gamers
- Nintendo sold 2.3 million NES Mini consoles
- Nintendo forecasts 10 million Switch sales this year
- Capcom's 2016 financials outline company's future
- G1 Sniper 2 rev 1.0 wont boot with GtX 1070
- H97M Pro4 - Machine comes out of sleep mode when deactivated but monitor does not
- ASUS USB-AC53 Nano AC1200 Wireless Adapter Review
- GIGABYTE Xtreme Gaming XTC700 CPU Cooler Review
- ASRock 990fx Extreme9 and NVMe support
- Get ready for Intel Optane memory with ASRock 200 series motherboards!
- Acer unleashes the Predator Triton 700, a thin yet powerful gaming notebook without compromise
- Acer's new Predator monitors with quantum dot technology deliver spectacular gameplay experiences
- Acer expands its gaming notebook line with the powerful Predator Helios 300
- Western Digital ships fourth-generation Helium Hard Drive platform with Ultrastar He12 12TB advanced storage hard drives