Z170X-GAMING 7 Circuit Analysis Continued
One of the main selling points of this motherboard is the Creative audio. The Core3Di audio chipset (CA0132) sits under the metal shield and is a quad-core audio processor from Creative. A Texas Instruments DRV632 is used as the line driver for the backpanel output, and an OPA2134 amplifier is used for the front panel and sits in a replaceable socket. A TPS65130 provides +/- 15v for the full range of OAMP support. There are also different sizes od Nichicon Gold Series electrolytic audio capacitors and a PCB divide is illuminated by 11 backside RGB LEDs and 5x topside RGB LEDs.
GIGABYTE is one of few manufacturers that use the Intel "Alpine Ridge" USB 3.1/Thunderbolt 3 controller on their motherboards. At Z170 launch, GIGABYTE didn't have TB3 certification, but they had the proper hardware, so they had to wait for certification to occur. GIGABYTE was recently awarded TB3 certification for a lot of their motherboards, so they added TB3 as a specification to the board and have provided firmware updates for the TB3 controller and the HDMI 2.0 chip, both of which are needed for TB3 support. If you buy older stock of the Z170X-Gaming 7, you might need to update the firmware (download programs on GBT's site), but if you buy newer Z170X-Gaming 7s, then they should already have updated the firmware.
GIGABYTE is using Intel's DSL6540 and is feeding it 4x PCI-E 3.0. HDMI 2.0 provides the remaining bandwidth from a MegaChips MCDP2800. The Type-C port can be used for Thunderbolt 3 and USB 3.1 and required the proper power delivery chip and switch; the Texas Instruments TPS65982 provides this functionality. This TB3 implementation is using Intel recommend parts.
Three ASMedia ASm1480s switch SATA and PCI-E bandwidth to the top M.2 slot. A Renesas/NEC D720210 is a USB 3.0 hub that powers the internal USB 3.0 headers from a single USB 3.0 port. The iTE IT8628E provides SuperIO functionality, and there are two 128Mbit (16MB) BIOS ROMs used for Dual BIOS.
The ASMedia ASM1061 provides two SATA6Gb/s ports. The four ASM1480s in a straight line switch 8x of PCI-E 3.0 from the first slot to the second for SLI/CrossFireX. There are two ASM1480s hiding under the first PCI-E slot's clip, these switch 4x between the last PCI-E 16x slot and the lower M.2 slot, that bandwidth comes from the PCH.
PRICING: You can find the GIGABYTE Z170X-GAMING 7 (Intel Z170) Motherboard for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The GIGABYTE Z170X-GAMING 7 (Intel Z170) Motherboard retails for $225 at Amazon.
United Kingdom: The GIGABYTE Z170X-GAMING 7 (Intel Z170) Motherboard retails for Â£172 at Amazon UK.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging and Z170X-GAMING 7 Overview]
- Page 3 [GIGABYTE Z170X-GAMING 7 Circuit Analysis]
- Page 4 [GIGABYTE Z170X-GAMING 7 Circuit Analysis Continued]
- Page 5 [BIOS and Software]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup]
- Page 7 [Overclocking]
- Page 8 [CPU, Memory, and System Benchmarks]
- Page 9 [System IO Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [Thermal Imaging and Power Consumption]
- Page 11 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- George Miller still planning two 'Mad Max' sequels
- Call of Duty WWII creatively strips players of power
- Hardware deals: GTX 1050 only $95 & cheapest Ryzen 5
- Instagram reaches 700 million users
- Samsung and LG working on a display with 4 curved sides?
- HDD to SSD
- Lenovo IdeaCentre Y710 Cube Gaming PC Review
- Synology RT2600ac Wireless Router Review
- Cursor disappearing randomly
- AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11G Review
- Western Digital ships fourth-generation Helium Hard Drive platform with Ultrastar He12 12TB advanced storage hard drives
- Call of Duty: WWII delivers gripping action on global scale
- Nokia partners with Lucasfilm to deliver an immersive behind-the-scenes VR experience of Star Wars: The Last Jedi
- New LaCie 2big Dock Thunderbolt 3 bridges the port gap and delivers massive capacity to streamline creative workflows
- ENERMAX launches D.F. STORM, the 3500RPM fan featuring self-cleaning design