be quiet! Shadow Rock LP CPU Cooler
What we will address as the front of the Shadow Rock LP, we find ourselves looking at a thick aluminum fin that caps the regular fins, and is screwed into the stack. Rather than copper tips from the pipes being seen, they are dressed up and covered with aluminum caps.
Moving around to the right, we can see the profile of the Shadow Rock PL. The intent is to have the longer overhanging portion sit over the memory. To do so, you will need plain sticks or very low profile heat spreaders. We also see a lack of a few fin tips, but they have to give you mounting access somehow.
From the back, the Shadow Rock LPs two sections of fins are found to rest on each other. The four pipes widen as they exit the base, and all run through the main section of fins. At the other side, two pipes are clipped, while the other two return to the back, sandwiched between the fin stacks.
The last side of the Shadow Rock LP is identical to what we found on the other side, so we may as well cover the wide groove across the top of the base. This allows a cross bar mounting system to slide into the cooler, and using the holes in the large fin section, screw it into place.
Across the top of the cooler, we find that the sides are slightly higher than the middle expanse of the fin edges. Along with tabs bent in two locations to keep the fin spacing correct, we also see five valleys cut into the stack, to aid in airflow and efficiency.
In both stacks, we found the fins to be pressed onto the heat pipes. Even when it comes to the smaller fin stack, there are tabs on both sides so that the stacks stay in line with each other as well. This is a good way of getting a second chance to use otherwise wasted airflow.
The base does ship with a plastic tray that supports the weight of the cooler and helps to keep this pre-applied thermal paste in place. While nothing made contact with the paste to disturb it, we can see little bits of debris that has stuck to the paste since it left the factory.
The base is polished well, but along the edge, we found machine marks still left in the base, even after the nickel plating. The contact surface is convex, and along with very solid hardware makes for a high-pressure contact situation that tends to increase performance.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging]
- Page 3 [be quiet! Shadow Rock LP CPU Cooler]
- Page 4 [Accessories and Documentation]
- Page 5 [Installation and Finished Product]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup, Thermal Tests, and Noise Results]
- Page 7 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Samsung unveils bendable/stretchable OLED display
- MSI scoops 5 awards for Computex Best Choice Award 2017
- Surface Pro continues to evolve, now packs Kaby Lake
- Qualcomm LTE chip powers Microsoft's new Surface Pro
- FSP will show off a watercooled PSU at Computex
- Alienware 15 R3 Laptop Storage Performance Investigation
- ASUS RT-AC1900p Wireless Router Review
- ASUS RT-AC1900p Wireless Router Review
- GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK with SSD M.2 Plextor M8PeG 256gb. low speed after shut down
- Prey Review: Dark Stars, Darker Thoughts
- Western Digital sets new standard with latest generation in popular HGST-brand Ultrastar SAS SSD family
- AMD raises expectations for server performance, unveils EPYC processor brand for the datacenter
- HighPoint's SSD7101 PCIe board-sized drive series integrate Samsung 960 NVMe SSDs to deliver groundbreaking performance over 12GB/s
- Micron accelerates all-flash storage speed, performance and value with new flexible petabyte-scale enterprise data center solution
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 and 630 mobile platforms drive advanced photography, enhanced gaming, integrated connectivity and machine learning