Initial Impressions 1.0 & Viewing Angles
I could leave it there, and it would be enough to say about this TV. I've seen many high-quality and expensive displays (TVs and monitors) in my time, and the 65-inch 4K curved OLED from LG just blows them all out of the water.
First, the 4K resolution on a 65-inch panel is about perfect. 4K content looks great, whether it's from YouTube or from the LG G4 smartphone I shot my 4K video with. Upscaled content looks great too, where I watched a bunch of different movies ranging from Man of Steel to Interstellar. But, as you may expect, it's the native 4K content that takes the cake here.
The biggest plus LG has here is the OLED panel. It's just unbelievably awesome. Blacks are black! Instead of an LCD TV showing you what it wants you to perceive as black, the OLED panel on the 65EG9600 is as close to black as you'll get. In some content, the black looks unbelievable. It almost looks like someone has gotten a paint brush, dabbed it into black paint, and smudged it across your screen. It's utterly gorgeous.
The OLED panel also excels in color reproduction, where they just 'pop'. I watched other movies ranging from Monsters University through to John Wick, and the color range was insane. In Monsters University and any other CG-based movie, the colors looked so good it looks unreal. In something like John Wick, the change between black and very bright, neon-like colors made my eyes hurt slightly. It's that bright, and it's that colorful.
I remember putting on my first video, and my 17-year-old nephew was standing behind me and as soon as Man of Steel came on he said "I am not worthy... my eyes, are not worthy". It stuck with me through to this review, and I agree.
It feels... no, this TV is a huge step on anything the competition has to offer.
In preparation for this review, I went to a few local retailers to check out the competing TVs. I looked at other 4K TVs from the likes of both Samsung and LG, ranging from 55-inch right up to 78-inch, and while they looked good, this 65-inch 4K curved OLED display from LG simply blows them away.
Oh, I forgot to mention that curve! The curved OLED panel brings you into the TV. And while I found it didn't make that big of a difference, if you sat right in the middle, you could feel yourself being completely immersed into the TV. Everything about this TV is damn near perfect.
Viewing angles were something I was excited to see. I can safely report that the viewing angles are out of this world, just like the picture quality and colors. I was watching The Walking Dead when I took these shots if you didn't already notice.
Even on an extreme angle, there's no dimming at all. The OLED technology really stretches its legs here.
Once again, at an extreme angle.
PRICING: You can find the LG Electronics 65EG9600 65-Inch 4K Ultra HD Curved Smart OLED TV (2015 Model) for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Quick Specs, and Availability & Price]
- Page 2 [What is OLED & The Big Jump from 1080p to 4K]
- Page 3 [Packaging & Detailed Look]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Apple's total cost to manufacture the iPhone 7 is $225
- Dota 2 the first to host a tournament on a cruise ship
- NVIDIA chip in the 'next revolutionary Apple product'
- Our closest look at the Google Pixel smartphone yet
- Google preparing 'Pixel 3' laptop with new Andromeda OS
- Fitbit Charge 2 Fitness Band Review
- Samsung 850 EVO 4TB SATA III SSD Review
- Mirror's Edge Catalyst Graphics Performance Tweak Guide
- Prepping LGA2011 Build
- Unable to find BIOS update for motherboard
- Antec and Razer team up to co-brand a new Mini-ITX gaming chassis
- Samsung Electronics accelerates the NVMe era for consumers with its highest performing 960 PRO and EVO Solid State Drives
- Lighting is in the Aer: NZXT launches Aer RGB, premium LED PWM fans
- Syber Gaming delivers VR and 4K-ready 'C Series' small form factor gaming PC
- HyperX Gears of War gaming headset shipping now