Z170X-SOC Force Circuit Analysis Continued
Avago Technologies bought PLX Technologies, and the PEX8747 is now in their portfolio. It provides 32x PCI-E 3.0 from the 16x the CPU provides for graphics. This allows for 4-way SLI/CrossFireX and is the only way to run 4-way SLI on the Z170 platform. It does produce 8W of heat and needs to be cooled by a heat sink. The 8x ASMedia ASM1480s are PCI-E 3.0 quick switches, and they switch 8x from the first and third slots to the second and fourth to facilitate more GPUs.
The audio section consists of a Realtek ACL1150 codec, 11x Nippon Chemicon Gold Series electrolytic audio capacitors, and a Texas Instruments OP1652 audio amplifier. There are 7x topside, and 25x underside orange LEDs that really illuminate the audio section, and the SOC Force logo is clearly visible from afar. A Texas Instruments GC75232 is used to support COM port capabilities.
An ASMedia ASM1061 is connected to a single PCI-E lane from the PCH and provides two SATA6Gb/s ports. An NEC/Renesas D720210 USB 3.0 hub provides 4x USB 3.0 from a single USB 3.0 port from the PCH. As we see on other top of the line overclocking motherboards, there is a main Super IO controller and multiple secondary and/or tertiary embedded controllers. The iTE IT8628E provides main SuperIO capabilities such as voltage and temperature monitoring, fan control, and PS/2 on the IO panel. The iTE IT8792E provides more fan control, hardware monitoring, and OC features. There are two 128Mbit/16MB BIOS ROMs, and an iTE8951E provides Dual BIOS + functionality that includes USB BIOS recovery without requiring the CPU to power on.
Seven ASMedia ASM1480s are PCI-E 3.0 quick switches that move around SATA and M.2 bandwidth so that the board can support and even RAID three 32Gb/s M.2 slots. The Intel NIC is covered by a metal shield, as is the BLCK clock generator used for high BLCK frequency overclocking.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging and Z170X-SOC Force Overview]
- Page 3 [GIGABYTE Z170X-SOC Force Circuit Analysis]
- Page 4 [GIGABYTE Z170X-SOC Force Circuit Analysis Continued]
- Page 5 [BIOS and Software]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup]
- Page 7 [Overclocking]
- Page 8 [CPU, Memory, and System Benchmarks]
- Page 9 [System IO Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [Thermal Imaging and Power Consumption]
- Page 11 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Google Pixel 2 revealed in a new leak
- Hands-on Meizu Pro 7 photo shows secondary display
- BioWare dev confirms new Dragon Age game in development
- Qualcomm unveils Snapdragon 450
- Xiaomi Redmi Pro 2 specs leak: Dual camera, 3GB of RAM
- BIOSTAR X370GTN Gaming Motherboard Review
- Intel Optane in RAID 0 - World's Fastest System Disk
- GIGABYTE Z270X-Designare Motherboard Review
- Intel SSD 5 545s 512GB SATA III SSD Review
- AMD launches the world's fastest graphics card for machine learning development and advanced visualization workloads, Radeon Vega Frontier Edition, available now
- Toshiba develops world's first QLC BiCS FLASH 3D memory with 4-Bit-Per-Cell technology
- Logitech Circle 2 will be compatible with Amazon Echo Show
- Synology introduces DiskStation DS1517 and DS1817
- Deep Silver and 4A Games are proud to announce Metro Exodus