The C7Z170-SQ looks nice without the heat sinks, and now we can get into the important stuff. This image has blue USB headers because it's an early review sample. I took pictures of the early sample but used a more recent sample that is identical to the retail part for the review.
This motherboard carries a 6+3+1+1 phase (VCore, VCCGT, VCCSA, VCCIO) VRM, but the VCCIO uses a much smaller voltage converter. Supermicro implements server grade power control on a consumer motherboard. For starters, the inductors for each switching power phase is a Vitex 59PR72-151 rated for 66A saturation current, among the highest found on a Z170 motherboard. To add to the server grade reliance, Supermicro isn't doubling any phases and is using two PWMs so that each phase is directly controlled by the main PWM.
Supermicro is using two IR35203 digital PWMs from International Rectifier. I could not find a datasheet, but it is safe to say that these are dual output PWMs with at least 6 phases on the main rail and one on the second rail. I have seen the IR35201 on many motherboards that are 6+2 phases with flex to 8+0, but I deduce this PWM might be fixed (no flex) or has one less phase on the second output.
The CPU VCore is six true phases, and the iGPU gets three true phases. Each phase for the VCore, VCCGT (iGPU), and VCCSA uses International Rectifier IR3556 50A PowIRstages. In this case, the inductor has a higher current rating than the power stage that is also rare on the Z170 chipset. The VCCSA uses a single 50A power stage and a 66A inductor. This is one of the highest quality VRMs I have seen on the Z170 platform as well, and it is totally overkill.
The VCCIO uses a Texas Instruments TPS51362 10A voltage converter, which is more than enough for the VCCIO. The memory VRM utilizes a Primarion digital PWM (both Primarion and International Rectifier are now owned by Infineon Technologies) and a single Fairchild Semiconductor FDMF5820DC DrMOS rated at 60A, complimented with a 66A Vitec inductor. This is more than enough for the memory voltage rail.
PRICING: You can find the Supermicro C7Z170-SQ (Intel Z170) Motherboard for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The Supermicro C7Z170-SQ (Intel Z170) Motherboard retails for $224 at Amazon.
United Kingdom: The Supermicro C7Z170-SQ (Intel Z170) Motherboard retails for £262 at Amazon UK.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging and C7Z170-SQ Overview]
- Page 3 [Supermicro C7Z170-SQ Circuit Analysis]
- Page 4 [Supermicro C7Z170-SQ Circuit Analysis Continued]
- Page 5 [BIOS and Software]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup]
- Page 7 [Overclocking]
- Page 8 [CPU, Memory, and System Benchmarks]
- Page 9 [System IO Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [Thermal Imaging and Power Consumption]
- Page 11 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Elon Musk wants to colonize Mars
- Wasteland 3 announced, features co-op play
- Pay any price for this 12-course Microsoft Office bundle
- Backward compatible games now up on Xbox One store
- Battlefield 1 has shifting anthology style campaign
- Palit GeForce GTX 1070 GameRock Premium Edition Review
- GA-EX58-UD3R Vt-d support
- Seagate IronWolf 10TB NAS HDD Review
- Fitbit Charge 2 Fitness Band Review
- Samsung 850 EVO 4TB SATA III SSD Review
- Antec and Razer team up to co-brand a new Mini-ITX gaming chassis
- Samsung Electronics accelerates the NVMe era for consumers with its highest performing 960 PRO and EVO Solid State Drives
- Lighting is in the Aer: NZXT launches Aer RGB, premium LED PWM fans
- Syber Gaming delivers VR and 4K-ready 'C Series' small form factor gaming PC
- HyperX Gears of War gaming headset shipping now