ASUS has a very nice UEFI for their Z170 lineup, and the TUF lineup comes with a military/rugged themed background. Apart from looks, the BIOS is loaded to the brim with features encompassing not only overclocking but also control over the fans and temperature sensors.
You can choose how to control precisely each fan header, and base the fan cooling curve off of more than a dozen temperature inputs. It is pretty much the most advanced fan control. It's crucial that the UEFI offers this type of fan control, so users aren't forced to use software, and ASUS delivers.
While fan control and the TUF features are quite cool, ASUS has also provided overclocking features in line with that of the rest of their Z170 lineup. While it might not have all the features an ROG product might provide for overclocking, it comes very close. Multiple levels of LLC are also present, and I will cover them on the next page. Overall I was impressed with the ASUS UEFI, but just like all other Z170 motherboards it will require multiple reboots to get into the UEFI after you clear the CMOS.
ASUS's AI Suite provides Thermal Radar 2 which provides the ability to visualize where each temperature sensor is located and assign them to fans. It is more graphical than the UEFI and provides automatic tuning and calibration. Obviously this isn't the entire AI Suite, bit it is a very interesting part. The ability to setup the assistant fan to de-dust is a very nice touch.
You can also change the parameters of the VRM through the digital PWM, further hinting that the ASP PWM is an IR35201. ASUS also provides TurboLAN and cFOS software works as well.
The Realtek HD Audio Manager has an ASUS skin. Among the many programs that ASUS provides, the HomeCloud is also provided.
ASUS also has their own CPU-Z Skin and MemTweakIt. The Driver DVD also has TurboV Core, which is a light OC utility.
PRICING: You can find the ASUS SABERTOOTH Z170 MARK 1 (Intel Z170) Motherboard for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The ASUS SABERTOOTH Z170 MARK 1 (Intel Z170) Motherboard retails for $270 at Amazon.
United Kingdom: The ASUS SABERTOOTH Z170 MARK 1 (Intel Z170) Motherboard retails for £214 at Amazon UK.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging and SABERTOOTH Z170 MARK 1 Overview]
- Page 3 [ASUS SABERTOOTH Z170 MARK 1 Circuit Analysis]
- Page 4 [ASUS SABERTOOTH Z170 MARK 1 Circuit Analysis Continued]
- Page 5 [BIOS and Software]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup]
- Page 7 [Overclocking]
- Page 8 [CPU, Memory, and System Benchmarks]
- Page 9 [System IO Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [Thermal Imaging and Power Consumption]
- Page 11 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- MEGA GIVEAWAY: AMD Threadripper 16c/32t Upgrade Kit!
- 4K gaming audience is 'too limited' for Nintendo
- AMD EPYC: 64C/128T dual-CPU against Intel 56C/112T CPUs
- Samsung is close to the world's most profitable company
- AMD Radeon Vega Frontier Edition vs NVIDIA TITAN Xp
- Intel SSD 5 545s 512GB SATA III SSD Review
- Patriot Viper V570 RGB Laser Gaming Mouse Review
- WD Red 10TB NAS HDD Review
- modded my x79-ud3 bios, processor support question
- The Mummy Movie Review
- Logitech Circle 2 will be compatible with Amazon Echo Show
- Synology introduces DiskStation DS1517 and DS1817
- Deep Silver and 4A Games are proud to announce Metro Exodus
- Microsoft premieres Xbox One X, world's most powerful console
- Phison gears up for mobile phone market with PS8226 3D NAND eMMC 5.1 controller