Aside from the PCI-E cables, nothing has changed here. Previously there were four PCI-E cables, each with their own connector. Now there are a pair of cables, each with two. This seems to be a more likely scenario as to what this unit will be used for and the change is welcomed to help reduce the cable clutter.
Rail distribution is as simple as it gets with a single 12V rail. There is no need to worry about load balancing here.
A Look Inside
A quick look at the PCB and layout reveals a completely different design of the unit. This is because SilverStone switched from Enhance Electronics to High Power to manufacture the unit. The new ST75F-GS V2 has some extra passive cooling.
A single Rubycon capacitor can be found on the primary side of the ST75F-GS V2 compared to the dual caps on the previous version.
The secondary side seems much better than before as it is filled only with Nippon Chemi-Con caps.
SilverStone uses the S1202512L 120mm fan to provide the active cooling for the ST75F-GS V2.
Old vs. New
Just to give you an idea of the two units and the size difference, here they are side by side. The new V2 unit is on the left. It is about half an inch shorter.
Here is the old ST75F-GS installed in the SilverStone SG11 case with a full system. It certainly was a pain trying to get everything plugged into the PSU and get it installed without causing issues with the CPU fan.
Here is the same system, but with the ST75F-GS V2 swapped in place, even utilizing the same cables. You can tell the difference by looking at the blue ring around the CPU cooler as there is more of it visible. The difference visually is small, but I can attest that the difference during installation is a major improvement. Just that little bit can save quite a bit of hassle when building a system, and it is a solid reminder as to why simple things like this are important.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Specifications, Availability, & Pricing]
- Page 2 [Package & Inside the Box]
- Page 3 [Cabling Arrangement, A Look Inside, & Old vs. New]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Final Fantasy XV on PC to get mod support
- Elon Musk reveals SpaceX's official spacesuit
- Anno 1800 is Blue Byte's new game
- The most anticipated phone of the year is here - Note8
- Xbox owners can pre-download Xbox One X 4K textures
- Lenovo Legion Y720 (Kaby Lake) Gaming Laptop Review
- Killer Networking - Killer control center new version (Z97X Gaming 5)
- GIGABYTE X399 AORUS Gaming 7 TR4 Motherboard Review
- Linksys WRT32x AC3200 Wireless Gaming Router Review
- Massive drop in temps by lowering "VCCPLL OC" in BIOS: Is the reported temperature correct?
- Micron appoints Anand Jayapalan as Storage Business Unit Vice President
- Bluehole, Inc and Microsoft announce expanded partnership for PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds
- Optimize system performance with new drive adapter
- Lian Li reveals new PC-Q39 tempered glass Mini-ITX tower
- Longsys' world-first 11.5x13mm NVMe BGA SSD drives new mobile user experience