The MSI Starforce 816 is MSI's 5th video card. MSI have not had a reputation for jumping onto the graphics bandwagon but like so may other motherboard manufacturers they have started to dabble in the graphics industry. MSI's first attempt in the Graphics market was the value segment with the 8807 based on the RIVA TNT2 M64 chipset with 16MB SDRAM. As with all TNT2 M64 cards it was not a very good performer, this was nothing to do with MSI but rather the TNT2 M64 as its cut down memory and data bus hindered the real power of the chip. After that MSI decided to release a newer revision based on the TNT2M64 offering 32MB of SDRAM, this did improve the performance but once again not much. MSI then moved into the shadows until the release of the Geforce chipset. MSI released the 8809 with 32MB DDRSDRAM which turned out to be quite a performer. When the GeForce2 GTS arrived, MSI once again threw caution to the wind and released the Starforce and again this card proved to be a success for MSI. Today, we are very lucky to have the privilege of testing MSI's latest offering to the value market the Starforce 816, will this be another success for MSI? Lets see, first lets take a look as the specifications of the card.
- Optimised for Direct3D acceleration with complete support for Microsoft DirectX
- 256-bit 2D and 3D graphics accelerator
- 350MHz Palette-DAC
- 128-bit Memory Interface
- 32 MB SDRAM
- Digital Dual Display Architecture
- Integrated Dual 135MHz LVDS/TMDS Transmitter
- nVIDIA Shading Rasteriser
- 4 Texels per Clock
- Integrated second-generation transform and lighting engine
- 32-bit colour with 32-bit Z/stencil
- Cube Environment mapping
- DirectX and S3TC texture compression
- 700 Mtexel fill rate
- 20Mtriangels/sec setup
- 2.9GB/second memory bandwidth
- AGP 4x fast writes
- Supports up to 4 display interface-CRT, TV and Digital Panel Interface
High Quality Video Playback
- DVD and HDTV ready motion compensation for MPEG-2 decoding
- Supports for VIP 2.0 interface
Full Software Support For
- Windows(R) 95 and 98 Display Drivers
- Windows(R) 2000, Windows(R) NT 4.0 Display Drivers
- OpenGL ICD for Windows 2000, Windows NT 4.0, and Windows 95 and 98
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Third 'Cloverfield' film revealed & delayed by 8 months
- John Glenn, the first American to orbit the Earth, dies
- AMD reboots its drivers with Crimson ReLive Edition
- Faraday Future car will have cameras instead of mirrors
- SpaceX's December launch postponed until early January
- Dk-q1 / dk-q1h
- asrock 880g pro3 codes E8>54>19
- ADATA SC660 240GB Portable SSD Review
- Will this Build be Quite, Small and powerfull ?
- Mouse skipping/jumping and audio stuttering
- Bluetooth 5 specification now available, 4x Range, 2x Speed
- Zadak511 reveals SHIELD Series with RGB DDR4 RAM and RGB SSD
- Jonsbo announces QT03A and VR2 cases, and FR-101 fan series
- Cooler Master announces the MasterCase Maker 5T
- be quiet! announces the Dark Base Pro 900 case with tempered glass window side panel