BIOS and Overclocking
For the BIOS side of things, EPoX has used the Award Phoenix version 6 BIOS system. This has been used for some time now, and is definitely the BIOS of choice for ease of use as well as the many features and tweaks you are able to use with it.
EPoX places the overclocking features under the "Power BIOS" menu. This is the newest system of overclocking options for the EPoX motherboards and from here you can adjust voltages as well as the a few additional tweaks.
First off with the FSB you have two options for this you can adjust the FSB manually from the CPU Clock/Speed option. Here you can adjust from 200MHz up to 300MHz in 1MHz increments.
If you don't want to overclock too much you can opt to use the real time turbo mode. This is EPoX's version of MSI's Core Cell boosting or Gigabyte's C.I.A system. When enabled the CPU FSB is adjusted to a predetermined limit depending on the load on the CPU.
EPoX also supplies CPU multiplier adjustments. If you have the new Prescott processor with the TM2 system you are able to adjust the ratio a certain limit to allow a higher FSB to be obtained without the CPU being the limiting factor.
Voltage options were unfortunately very dismal. While the CPU and DRAM limits were what we expected, the lack of Northbridge/PCI-E voltage as well as divider locks for PCI and PCI Express really set the board back, especially with overclocking.
Maximum stable bus speed we got was 241MHz (with an unlocked Pentium 4 processor) and anything beyond that the Serial ATA disks would fail to detect, using the IDE we managed another 3MHz faster and then the video card started to show instabilities due to PCI-E overclocking - this board is not the overclocking king we thought EPoX would bring to the table but it still managed to overclock further than some other Intel 915 and 925 boards we have looked at in the past.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- EPoX 5EPA+ I915P - Page 1 [Introduction]
- EPoX 5EPA+ I915P - Page 2 [Specifications]
- EPoX 5EPA+ I915P - Page 3 [Features]
- EPoX 5EPA+ I915P - Page 4 [BIOS and Overclocking]
- EPoX 5EPA+ I915P - Page 5 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and SiSoft Sandra]
- EPoX 5EPA+ I915P - Page 6 [Benchmarks - PCMark04]
- EPoX 5EPA+ I915P - Page 7 [Benchmarks - 3DMark Series]
- EPoX 5EPA+ I915P - Page 8 [Benchmarks - Doom 3]
- EPoX 5EPA+ I915P - Page 9 [Benchmarks - Far Cry]
- EPoX 5EPA+ I915P - Page 10 [Benchmarks - Halo PC]
- EPoX 5EPA+ I915P - Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Twitter will livestream free NHL, MLB games
- For just $69, you'll get 1000+ hours of coding instruction
- Gears of War 4 has unlocked frame rate on PC
- Kojima Productions' opening title sequence is weird, but awesome
- When 'Supergirl' flies to Blu-ray, you can win Season One on us!
- AMD Positioning Itself to Become a Commanding Force in Rendering
- GA-EX58-UD5 New Bios Ver. F14
- SanDisk iXpand Memory Case and Battery for iPhone Review
- Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 + GTX 550 Ti
- Ghostbusters (2016) Cinema Movie Review
- Polaris Nitro-charged - introducing the SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX 480
- AccelStor debuting NeoSapphire 3706-ES1 at Flash Memory Summit 2016
- Elitegroup ceremoniously launches ECS H110S-2P mini-STX motherboard and the all-new LIVA Pro Mini PC
- MSI announces custom GeForce GTX 1060 graphics cards
- Seagate unveils the industry's broadest 10TB portfolio