Circuit Analysis Continued
ASUS has really ramped up their SupremeFX audio to new levels. To complement the Realtek codec, ASUS added a separate DAC to handle the outputs, an ES9023P featuring SABRE technology, it supports 112dB DNR. The DAC is provided its own 40MHz oscillator, and Nichicon Gold series electrolytic capacitors are used for the audio. A "Sonic Sense Amp" is used to detect the output impedance of your headphones and adjusts the gain, ASUS says it supports up to 600ohm. A separate RC4580 is an operational amplifier used to power your headphones. A NEC relay is used to avoid the popping during system startup, but it does make an audible clicking sound, but don't worry that is normal.
Intel's i219v is used as the PHY for the integrated GBit LAN from the PCH. ASUS is using an ASMedia ASM1142 which takes in two PCI-E ports and outputs USB 3.1. An EtronTech EJ179V is a USB 3.1 type-C switch with logic control which can handle signals from external power sources.
An IDT6V41538NLG is used as a secondary clock generator to provide much higher BLCK margins than the clock generator Intel provides. An ASMedia ASM1061 is used to provide two SATA6Gb/s ports.
The integrated graphics in the CPU only provides digital display output, so a level shifter (ASM1442K) is needed for the HDMI port on the back. ASUS is using a Winbond 128Mbit (16MB) BIOS ROM and the little chip that says BIOS on it is most likely a secondary embedded controller or used for the USB BIOS Flashback.
The main SuperIO is a nuvoTon NCT6793D it provides fan control, voltage and temperature monitoring, and the PS/2 port on the backpanel. ASUS's TPU IC provides embedded controller functions for overclocking.
A single ASMedia 1480 (PCI-E 3.0 quick switch) switches bandwidth between the PCI-E 4x slot and the two 1x slots discussed earlier. Four other ASM1480s switch 8x of bandwidth between the first and second PCI-E 16x slots for SLI/CrossFireX.
There are two other ROG labeled ICs, and they probably are extra ICs for USB BIOS Flashback and overclocking.
PRICING: You can find the ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero retails for $239 at Amazon.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging and the Maximus VIII Hero]
- Page 3 [Maximus VIII Hero Circuit Analysis]
- Page 4 [Maximus VIII Hero Circuit Analysis Continued]
- Page 5 [BIOS and Software]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup]
- Page 7 [Overclocking]
- Page 8 [CPU, Memory, and System Benchmarks]
- Page 9 [System IO Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [Thermal Imaging and Power Consumption]
- Page 11 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- 4-player coop mode coming to Watch Dogs 2 in June
- The first images from the new Tomb Raider movie are here
- First 'IT' trailer brings Pennywise back to terrify
- ASUS announces GTX 1080 11Gbps, GTX 1060 9Gbps models
- MSI and ASUS tease new GTX 1080s with 11Gbps GDDR5X RAM
- ROCCAT SUORA FX Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Xtreme Edition 8G Review
- Cannot get rid of Asus Secure Delete
- NZXT Kraken X52 Liquid CPU Cooler Review
- Window side panel for PC-V1020
- MSI announces frosty limited edition Trident 3 Arctic gaming PC
- ADATA adds the i-Memory AI920 jet black flash drive
- FinalWire releases AIDA64 Extreme 5.90 benchmark software
- ASUS announces support for Intel Optane memory
- Thermaltake releases new View 28 RGB Gull-Wing window ATX mid-tower chassis series with Tt LCS Certified and unique 256-color RGB matrix design