The AMD A10-7870K
AMD's boxed APUs com with a boxed cooler, warranty information, sticker, and the APU.
The boxed cooler is actually a very good value considering the final price of the product. It can support some minor CPU overclocking. While AMD's competitors provide an all-aluminum cooler, AMD went with a copper base and four heat pipes. I used the stock cooler for the stock testing, but at 4.7GHz, I decided to use an AIO water cooling unit.
This is the top and bottom shots of the APU.
I decided to include three other CPUs in testing. The Intel Pentium G3258 is a pretty low-cost Intel CPU which is a very popular value CPU, the Intel 4770K is a considerably expensive CPU compared to the A10-7870K at more than double its price, but it has a similar number of cores and graphics, and then I included the Intel 5775C only for integrated/discrete graphics tests in Windows 10, as the 7870K and 5775C both are the top integrated graphics from both AMD and Intel, I thought it would be interesting to see how their gaming performance compares in Windows 10.
I used the ASUS A88X-Pro and I used 16GB of DDR3 memory from G.Skill.
I also used a Sapphire R9 285 for discrete GPU tests and an ASUS MG279Q, a 144Hz 1440P IPS gaming monitor which supports AMD's FreeSync technology. I made a video of the technology which will be shown later in the review.
For the benchmarks, I decided that out of the box performance was just as important as clock for clock performance. I decided to test all the CPUs at stock, but I also gave the A10-7870K a 4.7GHz CPU overclock and a 2400MHz memory overclock, as these two were very easy to attain on the APU. I will cover how I overclocked the APU later on in the review.
PRICING: You can find the AMD A-Series A10-7870K APU for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The AMD A-Series A10-7870K APU retails for $122 at Amazon.
United Kingdom: The AMD A-Series A10-7870K APU retails for £94 at Amazon UK.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [CPU and Test Setup]
- Page 3 [Out of the Box Performance: CINEBENCH, PCMark 8, wPrime]
- Page 4 [Out of the Box Performance: AIDA64 EE AES, FPU, GFLOPS, GIOPS, PhotoWorxx, and Memory]
- Page 5 [Out of the Box Performance: Handbrake and Hybrid Video Transcoding, ScienceMark]
- Page 6 [Out of the Box iGPU Performance: GPGPU Memory, UNIGINE, ResidentEvil, LostPlanet, 3DMark]
- Page 7 [Windows 10 Discrete GPU Performance and DX12 API Overhead]
- Page 8 [Windows 10 Integrated GPU Performance and DX12 API Overhead]
- Page 9 [AMD FreeSync Technology]
- Page 10 [Overclocking the A10-7870K and Power Consumption]
- Page 11 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Red Dead 2 delay won't interrupt future Rockstar games
- Far Cry 5 co-op supports full campaign
- Far Cry 5: Everything you need to know
- EVGA teases its GTX 1080 Ti Kingpin, unveil at Computex
- SAPPHIRE announces RX 580 Nitro+ Special Edition
- ASRock AliveXFire-esata2 compatibility with Phenom II X4 980
- m4a88td-m/usb3 & Windows 10
- OWC ThunderBay 4 Mini Thunderbolt 2 Review
- Prey benchmarked: Radeon RX 580 vs. GeForce GTX 1060
- ADATA AI910 Lightning Card Reader Plus Review
- Qualcomm fuels IoT growth by currently delivering more than 1 million chips a day into a wide range of connected applications
- Team Group announces theme for COMPUTEX 2017 showcase: go beyond the limit and reach for the top
- SAPPHIRE announces PULSE Radeon RX 560 graphics card
- ELITEGROUP computer to stand out at Computex for its smart campus deployment, robotic technology, education laptops, tablets, mini PC, and motherboards
- ADATA Shares a Symphony of Technology at Computex 2017