Inside the MGK 1
After taking apart the MGK 1, we found that there is a very short ribbon cable that is hard to remove from the PCB on the lower red section. The USB cable is soldered directly to the main PCB, and with the switches being mounted to the metal top plate, the PCB does not come away from that plate.
If you had the inclination that due to cost they would cut corners, that is not what we see at all. Even something as small as removing the residue from the soldering process is addressed leaving a very clean PCB inside.
The MCU in question is this 8-bit Holtek HT66F8560. This will take care of this feature set as well as the traffic, and also offers the flash memory for the preset functionality of the secondary buttons.
We also found this Holtek HT68F40 which we initially thought may be some form of a USB controller, but upon seeing the specifications, we find this to be yet another 8-bit MCU with onboard flash. Maybe one does the talking and the other runs the settings.
With everything back together, we also added the palm rest to show you what that looks like together. The front of the rest is sloped right to the table, and with dimples all over the top, it clips in slightly higher than the metal top plate.
Believe it or not, the keyboard is now powered and fully illuminated. We have activated all of the locks for this image, and you can see they are definitely visibly illuminated.
We do feel that this keyboard needed one more step up in brightness, as we took one of the key caps off to show how bright it isn't. While we should see almost an over glow effect, with the caps molded in white, unless it is near dark in the room, the LEDs are hard to distinguish.
PRICING: You can find the AZIO MGK 1 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The AZIO MGK 1 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard retails for $70 at Amazon.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging, Accessories and Documentation]
- Page 3 [AZIO MGK 1 Mechanical Keyboard]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- AMD Ryzen 7 1700X spotted in detail
- NVIDIA's next-gen Volta GPU turns up in latest drivers
- Horizon Zero Dawn is 'best' 4K game on PS4 Pro so far
- Nintendo Switch has 25.9 GB available memory, OS is 4GB
- GDC 2017 tease Ghost Recon Wildlands technology video
- How can I Speedup Outlook 2010 Performance?
- Changing Device ID
- Z170M Pro4S underperforming RAM / UEFI bug
- PC may end up in a reboot cycle from cold boot.
- Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming G1 M.2 SSD Supported?
- ASUS announces VivoMini VC66R and VC66
- BIOSTAR RACING Series motherboard lineup for AMD RYZEN announced
- Team Group officially announces the T-FORCE DARK series memory module with ASUS ROG Certified
- MSI announces Aero ITX series graphics cards
- ASUS Partners with WPGI womens Esports league