A common scenario I've been hearing a lot about lately is the enthusiast who has a full compliment of hard drives and a pair of opticals and still wants to add another burner of some sort. A number of times I've seen a recommendation to get some sort of PCI board that provides additional IDE channels, but making sure this board is compatible with ATAPI devices. While this will work, I have run into configuration problems in the past when using this type of solution.
Well now there is another manner to access those extra optical components; the Vantec NexStar 2 5.25" External Drive Enclosure. It worked flawlessly during the entire spectrum of testing and played back DVD movies without a hitch. You have a choice between USB 2.0 or Firewire, but for those who don't have Firewire access you can save a few bucks and purchase the model with just the USB interface.
Though not formally tested for speed, I was also able to burn CD disks using both interfaces and data was burned perfectly. This is just icing on the cake for a device that already had a lot going for it. Everything worked just as advertised and there were no compatibility problems at all. It was really that good!
As far as price is concerned, MSRP (Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price) is US$52.99 for the model tested and US$38.99 for the version with only USB support. Expect lower prices through your favorite online eTailer when these things get out to the masses. While not exactly cheap, the pricing isn't terribly out of line considering what a decent PCI based IDE board can run you, and you still won't have the configuration issues to look forward to.
Bottom line... If you just happen to have some extra optical drives sitting on a shelf taking up space and want a means to make use of them, this is the just the ticket. With perfect compatibility and painless installation, there is just no reason to not allow those devices to lead a productive life again.
Works flawlessly during all methods of drive usage
Excellent drive performance
USB and IEEE1394 interfaces
Truly Plug n Play (for those running WinME and up)
Rating 9.5 out of 10 and TweakTown's MUST HAVE Best Performance Award!
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Qualcomm teases 48-core processor on 10nm process
- Watch Shigeru Miyamoto play Mario's theme song on guitar
- Counter-Strike: Global Offensive update enhances audio
- BitFenix reveals new enthusiast Shogun PC case
- Nintendo's Super Mario Run mobile game is online-only
- Asrock J3355M doesn't power on (mostly)
- ASUS Maximus Ranger not detecting my GPU
- x99 Taichi gets WHEA 17 errors and BSOD124
- Dk-q1 / dk-q1h
- asrock 880g pro3 codes E8>54>19
- BIOSTAR announces new motherboard features
- ADATA releases updated SC660H and SV620H 3D NAND external SSDs
- BitFenix announces the Shogun chassis with ASUS Aura support
- Bluetooth 5 specification now available, 4x Range, 2x Speed
- Zadak511 reveals SHIELD Series with RGB DDR4 RAM and RGB SSD