Inside the Cougar 600K
The keycaps are single shot in an opaque white plastic, and are then painted to give it the black finish we see here. Very typical of the industry, and is used to allow LEDs to pass through where intended.
Under the caps, we indeed find a full layout of Cherry MX blue switches, except for the repeat rate and multimedia keys, as you will soon see, they use pad switches and domes.
This PCB is what we found under the repeat rate keys, where each of them is backed by a blue pad switch. To be blunt, for the limited use of these keys, we can see where the use of a mechanical switch just is not justified.
Moving over to the right side, we find six more of the pad switches for the lighting, lockout, and top row of multimedia keys. While they are obviously rubber dome switches for the volume keys, we honestly don't see the reasoning for it, and wished they would have kept continuity throughout the secondary switches.
While most of the PCB was tended to and cleaned of any residue from soldering in all of the switches, as we got closer to the controller, we see they got a little lax on the cleaning. Not a huge deal in itself, but it does lead us to what will be discussed in the final thoughts.
While we definitely feel that the 32-bit ARM Cortex MCU is overkill for the keyboard, the NXP LPC11U114F is what they have used in the 600K. Assuming they had easy access to them from the 700K, it does sort of make sense to find it here as well.
The last image we have for you is with the 600K all reassembled, and is now powered up with all the lighting the keyboard offers. There are a lot of LEDs across the top edge for the various keys and Lock LEDs, and as for the main section, only the WASD keys and the arrow keys illuminate in this design.
PRICING: You can find the Cougar 600K Aluminum Mechanical 32 Bit ARM Keyboard with Cherry MX Black Switch (KBC600-2IS) for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The Cougar 600K retails for $129.99 at Amazon.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: The Cougar 600K retails for CDN$168.99 at Amazon Canada.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications and Pricing + Update]
- Page 2 [Packaging, Accessories and Documentation]
- Page 3 [Cougar 600K Mechanical Keyboard]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Refurbished Galaxy Note7 might cost $700
- Nintendo market cap valuation now higher than Sony's
- LG's new 'world's first' 77-inch flexible 4K OLED teased
- GIGABYTE's new AMD EPYC motherboard supports 1TB of RAM
- AMD Radeon RX Vega price will be 'excellent'
- Team T-Force Dark ROG DDR4-3000 16GB Memory Kit Review
- GA-X58A-UD3R wake on lan problem
- In Win 301 Mini-Tower Chassis Review
- Best bang for your buck: AC1900 Wireless Routers
- ADATA XPG SX8000 512GB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD Review
- Logitech Circle 2 will be compatible with Amazon Echo Show
- Synology introduces DiskStation DS1517 and DS1817
- Deep Silver and 4A Games are proud to announce Metro Exodus
- Microsoft premieres Xbox One X, world's most powerful console
- Phison gears up for mobile phone market with PS8226 3D NAND eMMC 5.1 controller