How Does the MSI Radeon R9 390X Gaming 8G?
AMD provided me with a new driver for the testing of the Radeon R9 390X, which meant I had to use the public 15.15 driver for the R9 290X testing. I ran the 290X testing once again, refreshing our benchmark results to give a better indication of performance today, instead of from a driver from months and months ago now.
We will be tweaking our results in the future, once a driver is out that works with both cards - but this shouldn't change performance too much. We would estimate it would change things by a single digit (less than 10%) at most.
Performance at 1080p
Battlefield 4 performance at 1080p isn't much different between the 290X and 390X, but as we shift into games like GRID: Autosport and Shadow of Mordor, the 390X becomes 5-10% faster. Thief and Tomb Raider see the same type of performance increase.
Performance at 1440p
We see a slight increase in performance over the 290X with the SAPPHIRE Tri-X R9 390X 8GB in Battlefield 4, while GRID: Autosport slips a little, but Metro: Last Light is 2FPS faster than the 290X from SAPPHIRE.
Shadow of Mordor sees a decent increase, while Thief and Tomb Raider are both faster on the 390X, which is expected. Grand Theft Auto V performance on the SAPPHIRE Tri-X R9 390X 8GB is improved, with a 6FPS increase over the 290X.
Performance at 4K
This is where I love to write about the Radeon R9 390X, is at 4K, but does the new SAPPHIRE Tri-X R9 390X 8GB offer anything more than the Tri-X R9 290X 8GB at 4K? Starting with Battlefield 4, one would think they're the same card. Our tests showed that there are only a few frames per second between them at 4K.
Metro: Last Light and Shadow of Mordor both see performance increases of around 5-10%, while Thief and Tomb Raider excel, especially Tomb Raider which jumps from 61FPS on the 290X to 76FPS on the 390X.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Quick Specs and Availability & Price]
- Page 2 [Packaging & Detailed Look]
- Page 3 [Card Specifications & Cooling Setup]
- Page 4 [Testing Method & Test System Configuration]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Synthetic]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - 1080p]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - 1440p]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - 4K]
- Page 9 [Performance Summary]
- Page 10 [Overclocking, Software, Power Consumption and Sound Testing]
- Page 11 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Third 'Cloverfield' film revealed & delayed by 8 months
- John Glenn, the first American to orbit the Earth, dies
- AMD reboots its drivers with Crimson ReLive Edition
- Faraday Future car will have cameras instead of mirrors
- SpaceX's December launch postponed until early January
- Dk-q1 / dk-q1h
- asrock 880g pro3 codes E8>54>19
- ADATA SC660 240GB Portable SSD Review
- Will this Build be Quite, Small and powerfull ?
- Mouse skipping/jumping and audio stuttering
- Bluetooth 5 specification now available, 4x Range, 2x Speed
- Zadak511 reveals SHIELD Series with RGB DDR4 RAM and RGB SSD
- Jonsbo announces QT03A and VR2 cases, and FR-101 fan series
- Cooler Master announces the MasterCase Maker 5T
- be quiet! announces the Dark Base Pro 900 case with tempered glass window side panel