How Does the MSI Radeon R9 390X Gaming 8G?
AMD provided me with a new driver for the testing of the Radeon R9 390X, which meant I had to use the public 15.15 driver for the R9 290X testing. I ran the 290X testing once again, refreshing our benchmark results to give a better indication of performance today, instead of from a driver from months and months ago now.
We will be tweaking our results in the future, once a driver is out that works with both cards - but this shouldn't change performance too much. We would estimate it would change things by a single digit (less than 10%) at most.
Performance at 1080p
Starting off with Battlefield 4 on our Ultra preset (minus AA), we have the MSI Radeon R9 390X Gaming 8G beating out the SAPPHIRE Radeon R9 290X 8GB Tri-X by 8FPS, an increase of 6%.
In GRID: Autosport, the R9 390X Gaming 8G beats the 290X 8GB by a decent margin of 18%, while there's a 9% improvement over the 290X in Shadow of Mordor. Thief sees an improvement of 9%, while Tomb Raider sees Lara Croft enjoying another 17% performance. The MSI Radeon R9 390X Gaming 8G is 10% faster than the R9 290X 8GB in GTA V, which is a nice jump.
Performance at 1440p
At 2560x1440, the MSI Radeon R9 390X Gaming 8G is 7% faster than our SAPPHIRE Radeon R9 290X 8GB Tri-X in Battlefield 4.
GRID: Autosport enjoys that '10% or so' additional performance, with the MSI Radeon R9 390X Gaming 8G beating out the SAPPHIRE Radeon R9 290X 8GB Tri-X by 10%. Shadow of Mordor sees a 11% increase with the 390X, while Thief barely moves up - just 5% more performance.
Tomb Raider improves on the 390X, with an additional 17% performance over the 290X, while GTA V is 10% faster on the 390X.
Performance at 4K
The performance of the Radeon R9 390X continues with Battlefield 4, where we have the MSI card beating out the 290X by 5%.
Continuing our 4K benchmarking with Shadow of Mordor running 9% faster on the 390X, while Thief is 10% faster on the MSI Radeon R9 390X Gaming 8G. Tomb Raider at 4K on the 390X is impressive, with a huge 24% jump over the SAPPHIRE Radeon R9 290X 8GB Tri-X, while GTA V is 9% faster.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Watch Dogs 2 updated on the PC, long list of fixes
- Del Toro: F*ck Konami, killing Silent Hills was moronic
- NBA is being aired in 4K in the US this weekend
- Ubisoft: PC-like consoles was a 'good decision'
- 8 minutes of new Prey gameplay footage released
- ROCCAT SOVA MK Gaming Lapboard Review
- ASRock 990fx extreme4 & Fast- Ultra Fast Boot Issues
- Fnatic Gear Clutch G1 Optical Gaming Mouse Review
- X99 Professional Gaming i7 and RAM question
- ADATA SV620 480GB Portable SSD Review
- ENERMAX launches REVOLUTION SFX, with the highest wattage 650W full modular SFX Model in standard 100mm depth
- Intel Extreme Masters Season 11 finals confirmed for two weekends in March with more than $600,000 in prizing
- Ultimate Media Ventures teams up with The Coalition for sanctioned December 18 Gears Of War 4 Pro-Am eSports Battle On The Strip Event
- Thecus introduces Scale-Out architecture to meet rising enterprise storage demand
- Plantronics launches RIG 800 series - first 24-hour wireless gaming headset