How Does the MSI Radeon R9 390X Gaming 8G?
AMD provided me with a new driver for the testing of the Radeon R9 390X, which meant I had to use the public 15.15 driver for the R9 290X testing. I ran the 290X testing once again, refreshing our benchmark results to give a better indication of performance today, instead of from a driver from months and months ago now.
We will be tweaking our results in the future, once a driver is out that works with both cards - but this shouldn't change performance too much. We would estimate it would change things by a single digit (less than 10%) at most.
Performance at 1080p
Starting off with Battlefield 4 on our Ultra preset (minus AA), we have the MSI Radeon R9 390X Gaming 8G beating out the SAPPHIRE Radeon R9 290X 8GB Tri-X by 8FPS, an increase of 6%.
In GRID: Autosport, the R9 390X Gaming 8G beats the 290X 8GB by a decent margin of 18%, while there's a 9% improvement over the 290X in Shadow of Mordor. Thief sees an improvement of 9%, while Tomb Raider sees Lara Croft enjoying another 17% performance. The MSI Radeon R9 390X Gaming 8G is 10% faster than the R9 290X 8GB in GTA V, which is a nice jump.
Performance at 1440p
At 2560x1440, the MSI Radeon R9 390X Gaming 8G is 7% faster than our SAPPHIRE Radeon R9 290X 8GB Tri-X in Battlefield 4.
GRID: Autosport enjoys that '10% or so' additional performance, with the MSI Radeon R9 390X Gaming 8G beating out the SAPPHIRE Radeon R9 290X 8GB Tri-X by 10%. Shadow of Mordor sees a 11% increase with the 390X, while Thief barely moves up - just 5% more performance.
Tomb Raider improves on the 390X, with an additional 17% performance over the 290X, while GTA V is 10% faster on the 390X.
Performance at 4K
The performance of the Radeon R9 390X continues with Battlefield 4, where we have the MSI card beating out the 290X by 5%.
Continuing our 4K benchmarking with Shadow of Mordor running 9% faster on the 390X, while Thief is 10% faster on the MSI Radeon R9 390X Gaming 8G. Tomb Raider at 4K on the 390X is impressive, with a huge 24% jump over the SAPPHIRE Radeon R9 290X 8GB Tri-X, while GTA V is 9% faster.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Gamestop: we'll be chasing Switch supply this whole year
- Samsung store catches fire ahead of the Galaxy S8 launch
- Nintendo Switch cartridge advantage killed by Lego game
- Apple veteran leaves for Oculus, will run VR hardware
- Razer servers fail again, profiles flicked to default
- NZXT Kraken X52 Liquid CPU Cooler Review
- Window side panel for PC-V1020
- DDR3 RAM question
- AnyRactive GoTouch Portable Whiteboard Review
- GIGABYTE AX370-Gaming 5 (AMD X370) Motherboard Review
- MSI announces frosty limited edition Trident 3 Arctic gaming PC
- ADATA adds the i-Memory AI920 jet black flash drive
- FinalWire releases AIDA64 Extreme 5.90 benchmark software
- ASUS announces support for Intel Optane memory
- Thermaltake releases new View 28 RGB Gull-Wing window ATX mid-tower chassis series with Tt LCS Certified and unique 256-color RGB matrix design