The quality of components on the ASUS X99-PRO are top shelf, and overall I was impressed by circuit layout and design. It's nice to see different PWM methods being engaged depending on the level of current draw, and ASUS did a sound job with the VRM on the X99-PRO. The audio design is also high quality, and RMAA scores reflect that.
The X99-PRO offers a great feature set; however, there are some weak points, the biggest of which is the PCI-E layout (lack of 4-Way support and shared 3-Way support). You have to look at the manual when installing more than one GPU, and keep in mind that if you want 4x PCI-E 3.0 for M.2, you lose the ability to run 3-Way SLI. ASUS does remedy this with the ability to use the Hyper M.2 card at the same time three GPUs are installed, allowing you to install the M.2 drive into the Hyper card and inserting it into the second PCI-E 2.0 16x slot, which should be unobstructed. Other than the PCI-E layout, the X99-PRO has a solid feature set.
While it might not be perfect for people who use three or more GPUs, at $315, the X99-PRO offers some of the best IO performance I have witnessed on the Intel X99 chipset. The M.2 performance is awesome, and the included wireless AC card performs very well. Performance at large, including system benchmarks, makes the X99-PRO one of the fastest motherboards I have tested to date.
Overall, I was very pleased with the X99-PRO; it carries the ASUS name proudly and looks pretty good too.
Product Summary Breakdown
|Performance (including Overclocking)||96%|
|Quality including Design and Build||94%|
|Bundle and Packaging||91%|
|Value for Money||90%|
|Overall TweakTown Rating||92%|
The Bottom Line: If you are in the market for an X99 motherboard with excellent performance bundled with premium features, then the X99-PRO is definitely worth a look.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging and the X99-PRO]
- Page 3 [X99-PRO Circuit Analysis]
- Page 4 [BIOS and Software]
- Page 5 [Test Setup and Overclocking]
- Page 6 [CPU, Memory, and System Benchmarks]
- Page 7 [System IO Benchmarks]
- Page 8 [Temperature and Power Consumption]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- 4-player coop mode coming to Watch Dogs 2 in June
- The first images from the new Tomb Raider movie are here
- First 'IT' trailer brings Pennywise back to terrify
- ASUS announces GTX 1080 11Gbps, GTX 1060 9Gbps models
- MSI and ASUS tease new GTX 1080s with 11Gbps GDDR5X RAM
- ROCCAT SUORA FX Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Xtreme Edition 8G Review
- Cannot get rid of Asus Secure Delete
- NZXT Kraken X52 Liquid CPU Cooler Review
- Window side panel for PC-V1020
- MSI announces frosty limited edition Trident 3 Arctic gaming PC
- ADATA adds the i-Memory AI920 jet black flash drive
- FinalWire releases AIDA64 Extreme 5.90 benchmark software
- ASUS announces support for Intel Optane memory
- Thermaltake releases new View 28 RGB Gull-Wing window ATX mid-tower chassis series with Tt LCS Certified and unique 256-color RGB matrix design