Plantronics hit the mainstream market hard a few years ago with its 367, 377 and 777 gaming headsets. Previously commonly known for providing office solutions and general PC offerings, these well-priced gaming headsets even enticed 16-year-old me to pick up a pair for myself. Unfortunately, due to the solid headband design, most of these ended up breaking snapping clean in half leaving a lot of duct tape as my saviour.
Now we've seen a full refresh with the release of the Plantronics GameCom 788, a headset that is described on their website as providing you with Dolby 7.1 surround-sound in order for you to "feel every bit of action around you and hear opponents before they see you." Although the frame may have been brittle and the headset a little uncomfortable, the price-point and sound quality made Plantronics' older models a best selling product. Has there been any major improvements made all these years later with the 788 and are the common issues still present? Read on to find out.
The 788 offers you a Dolby Digital surround-sound through a USB-connected product, pumping the sound through two 40mm drivers rated at 20 Hz - 20 kHz, paired with a microphone frequency response of 100Hz - 10KHz.
The supplied 6.5 ft cable is bright deep orange in color to help set it apart from other peripherals and the ear cups are cloth in nature which also allow them to gather a bit of dust as shown in the images.
The rubber arm microphone is non detachable, but can be swivelled and moulded to your liking. The cable for your sound runs outside the headset on the connection from the headband to the ear cups which is also a positive, given many products will sever connections around this area when run internally. The Dolby Digital surround-sound is run purely through the USB connection, without any extra sound cards needing to be implemented.
Pricing & Availability
The GameCom 788 is reasonably priced at $79.99 with free shipping from Amazon, sitting it in the same park as the Tt eSPORTS Dracco Captain and our previously-reviewed CM Storm Ceres 500.
What's in the box?
Featuring a simplistic package of an information card and the headset itself, this plug and play headset comes with optional-download Dolby Digital surround-sound drivers online, but no carry pouch or case is provided.
It's almost mandatory in my eyes that peripherals of today come with a carry pouch. There's nothing more handy than being able to easily store your precious gaming weapons when travelling to a LAN party, attending a gaming event, or simply visiting a friends house.
The cloth earcups are unfortunately not replaceable by leather offerings which is perfectly fine for some, depending on your personal preferences.
PRICING: You can find the Plantronics GameCom 788 Headset for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The Plantronics GameCom 788 Headset retails for $69.99 at Amazon.
Australia: The Plantronics GameCom 788 Headset retails for $89 at PLE Computers.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Dead Rising 4 shambles to Steam in March
- New Call of Duty returns to 'boots on the ground' roots
- Nintendo Switch requires day one update to access eShop
- Nintendo Switch has no Virtual Console games at launch
- Apple new headquarters is ready for April's opening
- توكيل صيانة ثلاجة كريازى 01093055835 رقم مبيعات كري&
- صور صيانة غسالات وستنجهاوس 01060037840 % رقم مبيعات و
- اخبار صيانة غسالة فريجيدير 01095999314 اتصل الان مب&
- هنا صيانة كلفينيتور العجمى 01010916814 هوت لاين الم&
- ASUS MAXIMUS IX FORMULA A2 Error Code with Hardware Component Failure Beeps
- Nintendo eShop, Indie Games Ready for Nintendo Switch Launch
- Innovation and competition return to high-performance PCs March 2nd with worldwide AMD Ryzen 7 availability
- Final Fantasy awarded Guinness World Records title for most prolific role-playing game
- InstaVR launches publishing compatibility with HTC VIVE, cnabling companies to create high quality long-form VR video applications
- Transcend announces Ultimate UHS Video Speed Class 30 (V30) microSD cards to support 4K Ultra HD video recording