We like the fact that the RS520-E8-RS8 does not have a long depth to it and is relatively lightweight. This makes it easy to move around and install in a rack.
The RS520-E8-RS8 offers good network connectivity and has provisions for faster network cards if needed. 8x hot-swap storage bays offers an industry standard load out for medium size storage needs. We also like that the RS520-E8-RS8 comes equipped with IPMI and iKVM right out of the box, meaning there's no need for an extra iKVM dongle for management needs.
The front of the RS520-E8-RS8 server offers easy access to the 8x hot-swap storage bays, which is again an industry standard. At the top left, our sample did not include a DVD drive; we installed one of ours here in the lab. We think that for the most part this server should have come with a DVD drive installed that would make installing an operating system much easier.
The top right of the RS520-E8-RS8 has a series of status LED's, power and reset buttons, 2x USB 3.0 ports and a VGA port.
Eight hot swappable SATA3 drive bays provide plenty of storage capacity for this server.
The drive trays are typical for ASUS products with options to mount hard drives and SSDs.
The side of the RS520-E8-RS8 has several ventilation ports and a series of rail mounting studs.
The back of the RS520-E8-RS8 has dual redundant 770 watt power supplies on the left side. The far right has knockouts for 7 PCIe devices and at the top row several other knockouts are provided for additional devices. The rear I/O ports are 2x Intel I210AT RJ-45 LAN ports, PS/2 KB/MS port with 2x USB 3.0 ports below. Next is a RJ-45 Mgmt LAN port, System Status LED display and a VGA port.
The RS520-E8-RS8 comes equipped with 2x 77 watt dual redundant power supplies.
Taking the top lid off the RS520-E8-RS8 and we get our first look at the insides of this server. The wire harnesses are kept to one side and out of the way of airflow and everything looks nice and tidy.
The air shroud provides a nice clean channel for air to flow from the main cooling fans. It covers both the CPU heat sinks, which are provided with the kit and the RAM area nicely.
The RS520-E8-RS8 comes with 4x hot swappable system fans (80mm x 38mm) that provide the cooling for CPUs and RAM.
Here we have taken off the plastic air shroud so we can get a better look at how everything is installed. You can see each fan has direct flow right into the CPU's and RAM areas. This area is laid out cleanly with no wires or other components that would block airflow.
At the back of the server, we can see the available PCIe and Mezzanine slot. The Mezzanine slot provides support for an optional MCB-10G-2S (Dual Port 10 Gigabit/s Ethernet card).
The server lid also has a handy graphic showing how many of the options for the RS520-E8-RS8 server.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Fallout 4 might be the killer game VR desparately needs
- Nintendo Switch affected by Middle East flight ban
- Switch JoyCon issue caused by 'manufacturing variation'
- Assassin's Creed: Empire latest leak is fake
- HMD Global wants Nokia in the top 3 phone manufacturers
- H170-PLUS D3 and i7 7700K, both new computer says nothing.
- AnyRactive GoTouch Portable Whiteboard Review
- Can't find thumbscrews in PC-O9
- Lost Audio on Asus GL753 VE-DS74 Laptop
- BIOSTAR GK3 good mech kb for starters?
- COLORFUL wins innovation award from Intel
- Composer Olivier Deriviere pioneers real-time generated interactive music for GET EVEN
- BIOSTAR launches compact high-speed storage solution with M200 M.2 SSD
- EpicGear launches MORPHA X RGB fully modular gaming mouse
- ASUS announces USB-AC53 Nano Wi-Fi adapter