Power Consumption Testing
The Intel Compute Stick has a TDP of 4W, and I measured about 4.8W max with high GPU/CPU load. The Intel Compute Stick doesn't use much power. I bet if you had a good enough USB power bank you could power it without being connected to a wall socket.
This would be an interesting route to go if you lose power.
On the left is a shot at idle with a temperature of 52C, then a CPU/GPU load was initiated and I left the device until the fan came on around 55-58C (about 5 minutes), after 2 minutes the temperature had dropped to 50C (image on the right) and with the same load still applied it went to around 53C until I removed the load.
Intel Compute Stick runs on the warmer side, however, it is built to do so, and temperatures in the 50s (probably closer to 60s inside) are nothing to worry about. This device has a fan that doesn't run unless a heavy load is applied, I am sure they are using some algorithm to reduce noise while maintaining performance.
If you are hanging this below a TV like I did, then you should take into account that the TV adds heat, and some good airflow isn't a bad idea, even if you have to use the included HDMI extender to do so.
PRICING: You can find the Intel Compute Stick STCK1A32WFC 2GB Windows 8.1 for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Huawei P10 to have the highest pricing in the series
- Honor 8 successor comes with 6GB of RAM and 128GB ROM
- Nokia hints at Snapdragon 835 powered smartphone
- Resident Evil 7's Windows 10 PC port is a big mess
- Project Scorpio in playable state, games 'play great'
- How do i brake the boot loop? (no post)
- Z170X Gamming 5 - Sata Expansion alternatives
- Gigabyte (Business) Partner Questions
- Upgrading to Z270
- headphones not registering on ASUS k501uq
- AVerMedia's AVerCaster HEVC RS9280 brings 3G-SDI to professional 4K HEVC video
- Thermaltake reveals new Riing Plus 12 LED RGB radiator fan TT Premium Edition Radiator Fan with Riing Plus RGB Software
- Call of Duty World League (CWL) presented by PlayStation 4 invades Texas with CWL Open Event
- PAX South attendees can play Nintendo Switch before it launches
- Acer unveils versatile and robust TravelMate Spin B1 convertible notebook at BETT 2017