Power Consumption Testing
The Intel Compute Stick has a TDP of 4W, and I measured about 4.8W max with high GPU/CPU load. The Intel Compute Stick doesn't use much power. I bet if you had a good enough USB power bank you could power it without being connected to a wall socket.
This would be an interesting route to go if you lose power.
On the left is a shot at idle with a temperature of 52C, then a CPU/GPU load was initiated and I left the device until the fan came on around 55-58C (about 5 minutes), after 2 minutes the temperature had dropped to 50C (image on the right) and with the same load still applied it went to around 53C until I removed the load.
Intel Compute Stick runs on the warmer side, however, it is built to do so, and temperatures in the 50s (probably closer to 60s inside) are nothing to worry about. This device has a fan that doesn't run unless a heavy load is applied, I am sure they are using some algorithm to reduce noise while maintaining performance.
If you are hanging this below a TV like I did, then you should take into account that the TV adds heat, and some good airflow isn't a bad idea, even if you have to use the included HDMI extender to do so.
PRICING: You can find the Intel Compute Stick STCK1A32WFC 2GB Windows 8.1 for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Don't press new 'Guardians of the Galaxy' trailer button
- The Last of Us 2 is Ellie's harrowing story of hate
- Zotac's $1999 VR Go backpack: GTX 1070, Intel i7 6700T
- Death Stranding analysis: breaking down the bizarre
- Marvel vs Capcom 3: Ultimate coming to PS4 later today
- Ga z170m d3h ddr3-cf seek bios non-k_oc and kaby_support
- ROCCAT SOVA MK Gaming Lapboard Review
- ASRock 990fx extreme4 & Fast- Ultra Fast Boot Issues
- Fnatic Gear Clutch G1 Optical Gaming Mouse Review
- X99 Professional Gaming i7 and RAM question
- ENERMAX launches REVOLUTION SFX, with the highest wattage 650W full modular SFX Model in standard 100mm depth
- Intel Extreme Masters Season 11 finals confirmed for two weekends in March with more than $600,000 in prizing
- Ultimate Media Ventures teams up with The Coalition for sanctioned December 18 Gears Of War 4 Pro-Am eSports Battle On The Strip Event
- Thecus introduces Scale-Out architecture to meet rising enterprise storage demand
- Plantronics launches RIG 800 series - first 24-hour wireless gaming headset