Power Consumption Testing
The Intel Compute Stick has a TDP of 4W, and I measured about 4.8W max with high GPU/CPU load. The Intel Compute Stick doesn't use much power. I bet if you had a good enough USB power bank you could power it without being connected to a wall socket.
This would be an interesting route to go if you lose power.
On the left is a shot at idle with a temperature of 52C, then a CPU/GPU load was initiated and I left the device until the fan came on around 55-58C (about 5 minutes), after 2 minutes the temperature had dropped to 50C (image on the right) and with the same load still applied it went to around 53C until I removed the load.
Intel Compute Stick runs on the warmer side, however, it is built to do so, and temperatures in the 50s (probably closer to 60s inside) are nothing to worry about. This device has a fan that doesn't run unless a heavy load is applied, I am sure they are using some algorithm to reduce noise while maintaining performance.
If you are hanging this below a TV like I did, then you should take into account that the TV adds heat, and some good airflow isn't a bad idea, even if you have to use the included HDMI extender to do so.
PRICING: You can find the Intel Compute Stick STCK1A32WFC 2GB Windows 8.1 for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- MSI makes its GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X official
- StarCraft remastered announced by Blizzard
- The first sign of Kaby Lake X: the Intel Core i7-7740K
- AMD Ryzen with 12C/24T appears, excites us all so much
- AMD teases Radeon RX Vega is 'just around the corner'
- ASUS M51Vr Notebook. Long story.
- Kong: Skull Island Movie Review
- TPM issue with 970-D3P
- Extreme9 3 way crossfirex
- Kingston HyperX Savage 64GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Review
- Elgato Stream Deck brings tactile control to live content creation
- COLORFUL wins innovation award from Intel
- Composer Olivier Deriviere pioneers real-time generated interactive music for GET EVEN
- BIOSTAR launches compact high-speed storage solution with M200 M.2 SSD
- EpicGear launches MORPHA X RGB fully modular gaming mouse