Inside the Silent Base 800
Both of the panels are backed with sound absorbing materials, and the center is cut out to allow for a fan option. The holes are drilled for a 140mm fan, but that could be "adjusted" and still allow the plastic cover to clip in and out around its frame.
Our first look into the chassis shows us that there is a lot of black going on. The wiring has been tended to for shipping and rests on the floor. Also, we can see the hardware box tied to the lower HDD cage.
The trio of 5.25" bays is completely free of anything, including the front I/O wiring. They do offer tool-free latches that work very well, but also have the holes for using bay devices that need screwed into place.
The HDD cage is set up in two cages, three at the top, and four at the bottom. They have a slide lock system and they require rubber sliders for installation, but once done, the drives are isolated from the chassis. After removing quite a few thumbscrews, all of this can come out as well.
With the cages out, we do find that the front of the chassis has quite a bit of steel still blocking the airflow into the chassis. This may become an issue later, but we will see. The base of the HDD cage is also removable, but also requires removing the subfloor of the chassis to do this.
Looking out the top of the chassis, we find plenty of room for cooling or liquid cooling options. We can also see that most of this is covered by the top panel and will definitely block the noise of anything under it.
The motherboard tray offers a large cut out for CPU cooler access, is clearly market, and has raised steel bumps for standoffs. We also like that grommets are used, but this flappy-paddle style of grommet is really nice to work with versus other styles we have seen in the past.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Enter our giant 'BFG' Blu-ray giveaway thanks to Disney!
- Discover the 'Secret Life of Pets' in our Blu-ray promo!
- PlayStation Plus Instant Game December line-up leaked
- Star Wars creator George Lucas 'really liked' Rogue One
- Facebook debuts 'Instant Games' app worldwide
- Gigabyte gaming 5 z170mx cant enable raid need help
- ASUS UX305UA - time till boot starts varies a lot
- Ga z170m d3h ddr3-cf seek bios non-k_oc and kaby_support
- ROCCAT SOVA MK Gaming Lapboard Review
- ASRock 990fx extreme4 & Fast- Ultra Fast Boot Issues
- ENERMAX launches REVOLUTION SFX, with the highest wattage 650W full modular SFX Model in standard 100mm depth
- Intel Extreme Masters Season 11 finals confirmed for two weekends in March with more than $600,000 in prizing
- Ultimate Media Ventures teams up with The Coalition for sanctioned December 18 Gears Of War 4 Pro-Am eSports Battle On The Strip Event
- Thecus introduces Scale-Out architecture to meet rising enterprise storage demand
- Plantronics launches RIG 800 series - first 24-hour wireless gaming headset