Inside the Gaming S5
Proving they had their head in the game when choosing features; having the front of the chassis completely free to come off for cleaning is a huge plus. There is a thin screen in the bezel to clean, and this is also how you access the front 120mm fans, or opt to install 140mm fans if you wish.
Our first look inside, while they opted not to paint it, does have all the things we look for. What hardware is sent comes in a large box set into the foam, and we will see that in a bit, but we do see the wiring is tended to and run through a grommet to keep it safe in transit. Of course none of that matters to the end-user of this chassis.
There is just a hint of the full trays that are holding on the front bay covers that are already locked into these 5.25" bays with the tool-free locks. The trays are designed to slide out and be used for devices, or they are drilled to accommodate either a 3.5" or a 2.5" drive as an option.
You would not think that with six bays for 3.5" drives and four in the middle of them specifically for 2.5" drives that the ODD bays would need storage options. The thing is, all of this can be removed and allow for water cooling options to be used in the front of the chassis and do away with these all together.
Exactly like this shows, all three cages, including the support frame at the bottom, will remove from this chassis with just a bit of time and a Phillip's screwdriver. Of course, you could use a 240mm radiator here, but there is also the option to move to 140mm and use a 280mm based cooling solution as well.
The motherboard tray offers labelled spots to put the standoffs for ATX or Micro-ATX layouts, has a large access hole for the CPU cooler, and offers six locations to run wiring to the motherboard. Also, while not all in great locations, there are a few places stamped out to allow wires to be tied up behind it.
The floor of the chassis offers four rubber pads to isolate and support the PSU at the back. If the PSU is not too long, and you need the use of a couple of those HDD cages, the floor offers two 120mm fan locations that could also support water cooling, as the front would be blocked by cages.
Very few companies offer a fan grille for the rear exhaust fan, but this will save any accidents or possible fan breakage that has been seen before. This fan as well as the others uses 3-pin connections for power. While the back is well ventilated passively, we do feel solid covers are a bit old and a missed opportunity.
With near 20mm behind the motherboard tray, wiring will not be an issue for most. Where the storage drives stack at the left, the room is cut back to nearer 10mm. There is a bit of an inset to the drives to accept the plugs, so all you have to deal with is the main leads fitting.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Commodore 64 still running auto shop after 25 years
- Get this $100 programmable gaming keyboard for just $55
- Apple's next-gen MacBook Pro expected mid-October
- Xbox Scorpio's true 4K res won't be easy for developers
- NVIDIA shows off 4K 60FPS footage of Titanfall 2 on PC
- ASUS X99-Deluxe II Motherboard Review
- U.2 Kit on Taichi
- Z170X-Gaming 5 - Thunderbolt controller + Intel RST drivers issue.
- Palit GeForce GTX 1070 GameRock Premium Edition Review
- GA-EX58-UD3R Vt-d support
- Antec and Razer team up to co-brand a new Mini-ITX gaming chassis
- Lighting is in the Aer: NZXT launches Aer RGB, premium LED PWM fans
- Syber Gaming delivers VR and 4K-ready 'C Series' small form factor gaming PC
- HyperX Gears of War gaming headset shipping now