Samsung Tones Down TouchWiz
Another reason why I've been hands-off on Samsung over the years is that their TouchWiz UI is just too much for me. I love the look and feel of stock Android, but Samsung has overdone it with their UI over the years, something they've scaled back heavily on the new Galaxy S6 and S6 edge.
TouchWiz is still used, but it is nowhere near as strong as the previous handsets. Performance usually suffers on the S4, S5 and others - but not here, thanks to the toned down TouchWiz, the use of Android 5.0 Lollipop, and the insanely fast internals. Animations are beautifully smooth on the S6 edge, with absolutely no lag or slowdown whatsoever. This is the best implementation of TouchWiz yet, and this is from someone who utterly hates TouchWiz.
One of the things that I've done to customize the S6 edge is install Nova Launcher, which is a custom UI for Android. It bakes itself over the phone and provides some better customization of the user interface, such as smaller icons, more dock icons, and more. It just tips the UI over the edge and makes it so much better to work with.
Camera - Nothing Less Than Impressive
Another reason Apple has always won the camera smartphone game is that they make a great camera sensor. Even the new iPhone 6 Plus uses an 8-megapixel sensor, so we're limited to 1080p video capture, but Samsung provides a 16-megapixel, 4K-capable rear-facing camera. Shooting video at 3840x2160 will chew up a bunch of internal storage, but for video fans, it'll be worth it.
For the most part, I was shooting still images - which I was nothing short of amazed with. Until now, I had been using the Sony Xperia Z2 and just getting into the Xperia Z3 - and thought that was one of the best camera phones on the market. Well, Samsung has one upped both Sony and Apple at their own game by baking in an incredibly versatile set of cameras in the S6 edge.
One of the areas that Samsung, and many others, lose out in is low-light photos - something Apple has excelled in. But again, that is, until now. The S6 edge blows the lid on camera phones, and for a good reason - the S6 edge has an amazing camera. Instead of writing about how good it is, I'm going to show you how great it is with a bunch of photos (uploaded uncompressed) I've snapped over the last couple of days:
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Elgato reveals new Stream Deck streaming hub
- Battle.net client is now called 'Blizzard'
- Mass Effect: Andromeda faces prove it needed more time
- Netflix has 25 new original TV/movies ready for April
- Facebook Messenger now features mentions and reactions
- Extreme9 3 way crossfirex
- Kingston HyperX Savage 64GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Review
- AnyRactive GoTouch Portable Whiteboard Review
- NZXT Kraken X42 Liquid CPU Cooler Review
- Corsair ONE Pro SFF Gaming PC Review
- Elgato Stream Deck brings tactile control to live content creation
- COLORFUL wins innovation award from Intel
- Composer Olivier Deriviere pioneers real-time generated interactive music for GET EVEN
- BIOSTAR launches compact high-speed storage solution with M200 M.2 SSD
- EpicGear launches MORPHA X RGB fully modular gaming mouse