Samsung Tones Down TouchWiz
Another reason why I've been hands-off on Samsung over the years is that their TouchWiz UI is just too much for me. I love the look and feel of stock Android, but Samsung has overdone it with their UI over the years, something they've scaled back heavily on the new Galaxy S6 and S6 edge.
TouchWiz is still used, but it is nowhere near as strong as the previous handsets. Performance usually suffers on the S4, S5 and others - but not here, thanks to the toned down TouchWiz, the use of Android 5.0 Lollipop, and the insanely fast internals. Animations are beautifully smooth on the S6 edge, with absolutely no lag or slowdown whatsoever. This is the best implementation of TouchWiz yet, and this is from someone who utterly hates TouchWiz.
One of the things that I've done to customize the S6 edge is install Nova Launcher, which is a custom UI for Android. It bakes itself over the phone and provides some better customization of the user interface, such as smaller icons, more dock icons, and more. It just tips the UI over the edge and makes it so much better to work with.
Camera - Nothing Less Than Impressive
Another reason Apple has always won the camera smartphone game is that they make a great camera sensor. Even the new iPhone 6 Plus uses an 8-megapixel sensor, so we're limited to 1080p video capture, but Samsung provides a 16-megapixel, 4K-capable rear-facing camera. Shooting video at 3840x2160 will chew up a bunch of internal storage, but for video fans, it'll be worth it.
For the most part, I was shooting still images - which I was nothing short of amazed with. Until now, I had been using the Sony Xperia Z2 and just getting into the Xperia Z3 - and thought that was one of the best camera phones on the market. Well, Samsung has one upped both Sony and Apple at their own game by baking in an incredibly versatile set of cameras in the S6 edge.
One of the areas that Samsung, and many others, lose out in is low-light photos - something Apple has excelled in. But again, that is, until now. The S6 edge blows the lid on camera phones, and for a good reason - the S6 edge has an amazing camera. Instead of writing about how good it is, I'm going to show you how great it is with a bunch of photos (uploaded uncompressed) I've snapped over the last couple of days:
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Don't press new 'Guardians of the Galaxy' trailer button
- The Last of Us 2 is Ellie's harrowing story of hate
- Zotac's $1999 VR Go backpack: GTX 1070, Intel i7 6700T
- Death Stranding analysis: breaking down the bizarre
- Marvel vs Capcom 3: Ultimate coming to PS4 later today
- Ga z170m d3h ddr3-cf seek bios non-k_oc and kaby_support
- ROCCAT SOVA MK Gaming Lapboard Review
- ASRock 990fx extreme4 & Fast- Ultra Fast Boot Issues
- Fnatic Gear Clutch G1 Optical Gaming Mouse Review
- X99 Professional Gaming i7 and RAM question
- ENERMAX launches REVOLUTION SFX, with the highest wattage 650W full modular SFX Model in standard 100mm depth
- Intel Extreme Masters Season 11 finals confirmed for two weekends in March with more than $600,000 in prizing
- Ultimate Media Ventures teams up with The Coalition for sanctioned December 18 Gears Of War 4 Pro-Am eSports Battle On The Strip Event
- Thecus introduces Scale-Out architecture to meet rising enterprise storage demand
- Plantronics launches RIG 800 series - first 24-hour wireless gaming headset