Samsung's Best Smartphone Yet Also Feels Great
All of those internal specifications are great: we have an 8-core processor, 3GB of RAM, a QHD sAMOLED panel and so much more - but how does it feel in your hand? Samsung has crafted its most premium smartphone yet, replacing the pathetic plastic on its previous flagship smartphone with metal and the gorgeously smooth and super-protective Gorilla Glass 4.
It is the most luxurious handset I've ever felt, with both the front and back of the Galaxy S6 edge feeling absolutely incredible. I hate using superfluous words to describe the Galaxy S6 edge, but they're warranted. Samsung has earned respect here, and it needs to really be a point that is pushed across: Samsung has made one of the best designed smartphones ever with its Galaxy S6 edge.
There's a metallic band around the entire handset that makes holding the Galaxy S6 edge nice and comfortable, and it's thin enough with its 5.1-inch display that it never, ever feels too big. The same can't be said for the Galaxy Note 4 and its 5.5-inch display, or the iPhone 6 Plus with the same size 5.5-inch panel. Those two smartphones are far too big, and for all the things Apple did to get a bigger smartphone onto the market, the iPhone 6 Plus is just too big, and always felt too big and weird to hold.
Samsung has escaped all of that deploying the 5.1-inch display onto the Galaxy S6 edge, which is just absolutely the perfect display size for a smartphone. Anything bigger, and it would be too big. Anything smaller, and it would almost feel too small.
Not only has Samsung crafted one of the best smartphones out, but it has crammed it full of so many features that you probably won't use them all. We have incredibly fast LTE capabilities, fast-charging, wireless charging, a fingerprint scanner, heart rate monitor, and so much more.
Fast-charge: Starting with the fast-charging, I drained my Galaxy S6 edge on the first day I received it down to 13% from its out-of-the-box charge of 49%. I wanted to test out the fast charge capabilities, which is meant to provide around four hours of use from 10 minutes of charge. Within 1 hour and 15 minutes, I had a fully charged Galaxy S6 edge, which is pretty damn incredible.
Heart rate monitor: This isn't something that I would buy the phone for, but it's a nice touch for the S Health side of the phone. S Health in itself is a great health monitoring application that Samsung provides, with the heart rate monitor on the back of the S6 edge being put to good use.
Edge display: I have to admit: I didn't buy the Galaxy S6 edge to use the dual edge screen exclusively, but it's a nice touch. Right now, my Galaxy S6 edge is sitting to my right displaying the time and the date on the edge of its display. A nice touch, but it's not something I would exclusively purchase the S6 edge for.
Fingerprint scanner: The Galaxy S5 had a fingerprint scanner, but it was nowhere near as good, or anywhere near as convenient as the one on the iPhone. Samsung has upped its security game with the Galaxy S6 and S6 edge, where you place your finger or thumb onto the fingerprint scanner to unlock your device. The Galaxy S5 had you sliding your finger or thumb from the top of the fingerprint scanner, to the bottom, but the S6 and S6 edge do it much better, and it's about time.
Wireless charging: Finally! Samsung has seen the light of built-in Qi wireless charging - and as so many Internet memes put it: "It's About Damn Time". Wireless charging is something I expect from any flagship handset, so kudos to Samsung.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Enter our giant 'BFG' Blu-ray giveaway thanks to Disney!
- Discover the 'Secret Life of Pets' in our Blu-ray promo!
- PlayStation Plus Instant Game December line-up leaked
- Star Wars creator George Lucas 'really liked' Rogue One
- Facebook debuts 'Instant Games' app worldwide
- Gigabyte gaming 5 z170mx cant enable raid need help
- ASUS UX305UA - time till boot starts varies a lot
- Ga z170m d3h ddr3-cf seek bios non-k_oc and kaby_support
- ROCCAT SOVA MK Gaming Lapboard Review
- ASRock 990fx extreme4 & Fast- Ultra Fast Boot Issues
- ENERMAX launches REVOLUTION SFX, with the highest wattage 650W full modular SFX Model in standard 100mm depth
- Intel Extreme Masters Season 11 finals confirmed for two weekends in March with more than $600,000 in prizing
- Ultimate Media Ventures teams up with The Coalition for sanctioned December 18 Gears Of War 4 Pro-Am eSports Battle On The Strip Event
- Thecus introduces Scale-Out architecture to meet rising enterprise storage demand
- Plantronics launches RIG 800 series - first 24-hour wireless gaming headset