Tech content trusted by users in North America and around the world
7,222 Reviews & Articles | 52,199 News Posts

be quiet! Straight Power 10 800W 80 Plus Gold Power Supply Review

By: Zac O'Vadka | 80 PLUS Gold PSUs in Cases, Cooling & PSU | Posted: Apr 10, 2015 1:07 pm
TweakTown Rating: 83%Manufacturer: be quiet!

Test Results

 

Our load tests utilize a couple of FAST ATE active load testers, and a variety of other equipment such as an oscilloscope, power conditioner, temperature probe, and a power consumption meter. You can read more about our standard testing approach here.

 

The tests performed are based around six conceivable setups that are out there, and progressively load down the PSU up to the power supply's limits, or 1000W; whichever comes first. Since our test equipment's limits are higher than that of the be quiet! Straight Power 10 800W power supply, we can test it to its maximum.

 

quiet-straight-power-10-800w-80-plus-gold-supply-review_25

 

The above tests represent typical loads that we have measured from various systems, and are meant to give a rough idea of where your computer might fall in line with our tests. Please keep in mind that each system is different, and actual loads can vary greatly, even with similar hardware.

 

quiet-straight-power-10-800w-80-plus-gold-supply-review_26

 

Let's start by taking a look at the voltages, to see how well this unit did during testing. Starting with the 12V1 rail, we see 2% regulation from start to finish, with a total drop of .14V. 12V2 manages 2% regulation with a total voltage drop of .19V. 12V3 with 1% regulation and a total voltage drop of .13V. 12V4 fairs the best and manages 1% regulation with a total voltage drop of .14V. The 5V rail managed to stay within 1% of specification, with a total drop of .07V from start to finish. Moving towards the 3.3V rail, we see that regulation was within 2% of specification, with a total voltage drop of .09V.

 

DC Output quality for the be quiet! Straight Power 10 800W was good overall, and well within specifications. During Test One, we saw 11mV of noise on our scope at 28% load. When we increased the loads in Test Three, the ripple climbed to a mere 24mV at around 70% load. Increasing loads even further showed that the noise on the 12V rail climbed to 47mV at 800W.

 

The be quiet! Straight Power 10 800W is rated for 80 PLUS Gold efficiency. This means that the power supply must perform at 87% / 90% / 87% efficiency, at 20% / 50% / 100% loads respectively. As you can see, the be quiet! Straight Power 10 800W is performing exactly as it should and passes without issue.

 

 

Final Thoughts

 

There are less than a handful of power supply units that I would consider near perfect and not have anything bad about them worth mentioning. The be quiet! Straight Power 10 800W doesn't fit in that hand. The unit is certainly a strong power supply, but it has a decent mix of good and bad.

 

Aesthetically, the be quiet! units are always stellar. They always have a slight edge on the competition with little things such as the grommet around the natively wired cables, the fan grill, and more. From a performance standpoint, the be quiet! does a great job until we get to the DC output quality. This simply suffers because of the poor choice of sub-par capacitors. We've seen it time and time again and the be quiet! Straight Power 10 800W is no exception.

 

What really hurts the be quiet! Straight Power 10 800W, though, is the price. With an MSRP of $169.90, that simply puts it way out of the price range of what most consumers are willing to pay for a mid-range mid-wattage PSU. Even if you can catch it on sale, you're still not quite matching what the competition has to offer and that is unfortunate.

Product Summary Breakdown

Performance85%
Quality including Design and Build85%
General Features85%
Bundle and Packaging90%
Value for Money70%
Overall TweakTown Rating83%

The Bottom Line: The be quiet! Straight Power 10 800W is a good unit that suffers from poor pricing more than anything. Unless you can score a killer deal on it, we recommend passing for something priced better.

    PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.


    United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.

    United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.

    Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.

    We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.

Related Tags

Got an opinion on this content? Post a comment below!
loading