When it comes to making life more convenient for us, Vantec is doing what it can to accommodate. With this latest release, they have shown that they can take a workable product, listen to reviewer issues and come back to create something even better. Performance was never really an issue with the original model, but they still managed to improve the numbers on the IEEE1394 channel anyway.
The small screws and poor mounting design were the main issues found in the first version of the NexStar, so with the redesigning of both of these issues in the second revision and still excellent transfer speeds, it is hard to find a lot wrong now.
I was a little disappointed with the USB transfer speeds, but not enough to make it where I wouldn't recommend this enclosure to those looking for a means to make use of that old hard drive sitting on the shelf. And since the unit installs itself under Windows as a mass media device, you can add as many drives as you have available drive letters.
Regarding the installation onto your system, rest assured it is a matter of simplicity. If you're running WinME or later, there is no need to install drivers of any sort. The NexStar will be natively supported as a Plug N Play device. Win98SE users will need to go ahead and install the drivers the first time they hook up the device, but they will remain resident after that, even if you disconnect and connect regularly. Those with operating systems older than Win98SE need not apply as you won't have USB support anyway.
As far as price is concerned, I have been unable to find this product on the market yet. The original goes in at about US$58 or so as you can see here on DealTime, so I wouldn't expect prices to rise too much since Vantec will still need to remain competitive with others who manufacture this type of device. Time will tell and I'll modify my comments if I find prices are outrageous, but I really don't expect them to be.
Bottom line... If you've been looking for a way to use that old hard drive sitting on the shelf, there is a way to make use of that extra storage space. While USB speeds are rather average across the board, the Firewire speeds are excellent for those with the hardware to make use of this method of connection. With fast transfer speeds and old issues fixed, there is a whole lot to like about the Vantec NexStar 2.
Issues from first revision fixed
Excellent Firewire performance
Native support in OS beyond Win98
300GB size limit
Average USB speeds
Rating - 9.5 out of 10 and TweakTown's "MUST HAVE" Best Performance Award!
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- The first screenshots from the System Shock remake arrive
- AMD's new Zen APUs to deliver Xbox One/PS4 level performance in 2017
- The first gameplay footage from Far Cry Primal has arrived
- Batman: Arkham Knight PC update reduces framerate hitching
- Fallout 4 mod fixes compass glitch caused by Crimson Edition driver
- North Bridge Frequency Locked at 4300 on Fatal1ty X99M Killer/3.1 Board
- New SSD Connections and GA-Z87X-UD5H?
- ID-Cooling Frostflow 120L CPU Liquid Cooler Review
- SanDisk Extreme 500 240GB USB 3.0 Portable SSD Review
- ID-Cooling IS-VC45 SFF CPU Cooler Review
- CYBERTRONPC OFFERS TESSERACT 15 SK NOTEBOOK, NOW WITH 6th GEN INTEL PROCESSOR AND WINDOWS 10
- HERE and the Netherlands evaluating 4G/LTE-based C-ITS road messaging system
- Sony PLAYSTATION 4 (PS4) SALES SURPASS 30.2 MILLION UNITS WORLDWIDE
- Samsung Starts Mass Producing Industry's First 128-GIGABYTE DDR4 Modules for Enterprise Servers
- LG RAY DELIVERS LARGE HD DISPLAY AND BEST-IN-CLASS CAMERAS FOR 3G MARKETS