We see a similar trend here as we did with the HD Tach utility with one notable exception; the NexStar 2 USB speeds dropped off a bit. While not a huge difference, it did manage to come in dead last in the Sandra testing. Firewire speeds, however, continue to show a very nice speed and performance increase over the original model.
Timed Data Transfers
For our final test I wanted to see just how fast we could transfer a large file across the platforms. To accomplish this I took the FarCry demo file and began copying it from drive to drive and measured times in seconds. The file weighs in at 496MB so should give us a fair assessment of the ability to move data from one place to another. Times were taken from the system to the Seagate drive and from the Seagate drive back to the system.
No matter how many times I run this test, I am still amazed that I get better results with the Firewire connection than with the drive slaved to the system. While this doesn't cover data spread all around a drive, it does show sheer data transfer prowess by taking a single large file and moving it from one location to another as fast as possible. Again the NexStar 2 shoes speed improvements under the IEEE1394 banner, but the differences are not as great as before. Still, we have seen a constant improvement in transfer speeds across this channel so things are looking very good for those looking for a Firewire implementation of this device.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Intel teases next-gen Optane tech, requires Kaby Lake
- HyperX ships more than 2 million headsets in three years
- The latest, and nearly final shots of the Galaxy S8
- Android 8.0 Oreo teased, should be unveiled soon
- Samsung to unveil four new VR/AR projects at MWC 2017
- (GA X99 Designare) Anyone using a Beta BIOS?
- Are there any infos about the dk-05?
- How can I Speedup Outlook 2010 Performance?
- Changing Device ID
- Z170M Pro4S underperforming RAM / UEFI bug
- Transcend announces Ultimate UHS Video Speed Class 30 (V30) microSD cards to support 4K Ultra HD video recording
- Final Fantasy XIV Fan Fest culminates with the journey eastward in Stormblood
- New Final Fantasy XV content including 'booster pack+' release and NieR: Automata collaboration now available
- BC1 wins IF design award
- Battle trailer introduces NieR: Automata main weapon types