We see a similar trend here as we did with the HD Tach utility with one notable exception; the NexStar 2 USB speeds dropped off a bit. While not a huge difference, it did manage to come in dead last in the Sandra testing. Firewire speeds, however, continue to show a very nice speed and performance increase over the original model.
Timed Data Transfers
For our final test I wanted to see just how fast we could transfer a large file across the platforms. To accomplish this I took the FarCry demo file and began copying it from drive to drive and measured times in seconds. The file weighs in at 496MB so should give us a fair assessment of the ability to move data from one place to another. Times were taken from the system to the Seagate drive and from the Seagate drive back to the system.
No matter how many times I run this test, I am still amazed that I get better results with the Firewire connection than with the drive slaved to the system. While this doesn't cover data spread all around a drive, it does show sheer data transfer prowess by taking a single large file and moving it from one location to another as fast as possible. Again the NexStar 2 shoes speed improvements under the IEEE1394 banner, but the differences are not as great as before. Still, we have seen a constant improvement in transfer speeds across this channel so things are looking very good for those looking for a Firewire implementation of this device.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Qualcomm teases 48-core processor on 10nm process
- Watch Shigeru Miyamoto play Mario's theme song on guitar
- Counter-Strike: Global Offensive update enhances audio
- BitFenix reveals new enthusiast Shogun PC case
- Nintendo's Super Mario Run mobile game is online-only
- ASUS Maximus Ranger not detecting my GPU
- x99 Taichi gets WHEA 17 errors and BSOD124
- Dk-q1 / dk-q1h
- asrock 880g pro3 codes E8>54>19
- ADATA SC660 240GB Portable SSD Review
- BIOSTAR announces new motherboard features
- ADATA releases updated SC660H and SV620H 3D NAND external SSDs
- BitFenix announces the Shogun chassis with ASUS Aura support
- Bluetooth 5 specification now available, 4x Range, 2x Speed
- Zadak511 reveals SHIELD Series with RGB DDR4 RAM and RGB SSD