We see a similar trend here as we did with the HD Tach utility with one notable exception; the NexStar 2 USB speeds dropped off a bit. While not a huge difference, it did manage to come in dead last in the Sandra testing. Firewire speeds, however, continue to show a very nice speed and performance increase over the original model.
Timed Data Transfers
For our final test I wanted to see just how fast we could transfer a large file across the platforms. To accomplish this I took the FarCry demo file and began copying it from drive to drive and measured times in seconds. The file weighs in at 496MB so should give us a fair assessment of the ability to move data from one place to another. Times were taken from the system to the Seagate drive and from the Seagate drive back to the system.
No matter how many times I run this test, I am still amazed that I get better results with the Firewire connection than with the drive slaved to the system. While this doesn't cover data spread all around a drive, it does show sheer data transfer prowess by taking a single large file and moving it from one location to another as fast as possible. Again the NexStar 2 shoes speed improvements under the IEEE1394 banner, but the differences are not as great as before. Still, we have seen a constant improvement in transfer speeds across this channel so things are looking very good for those looking for a Firewire implementation of this device.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Google Pixel 2 devices to feature Snapdragon 835
- Fisker to unveil their new electric car in August
- New Friday the 13th game slashes PC, consoles this May
- Nintendo Switch owners can share game updates locally
- AMD teases 8K graphics workload on Radeon RX Vega
- Synology RT2600ac Wireless Router Review
- Cursor disappearing randomly
- AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11G Review
- Intel Optane Memory 32GB M.2 NVMe SSD Review
- ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 K6 USB 3.1/TB Issues
- Nokia partners with Lucasfilm to deliver an immersive behind-the-scenes VR experience of Star Wars: The Last Jedi
- New LaCie 2big Dock Thunderbolt 3 bridges the port gap and delivers massive capacity to streamline creative workflows
- ENERMAX launches D.F. STORM, the 3500RPM fan featuring self-cleaning design
- Tenda unveils new USB 3.0 AC1300 wireless network adapter
- SAPPHIRE introduces new PULSE graphics card family