In this section I will begin with a discussion of the voltage regulators, and then move to other important circuits.
The VRM on this board is powered exclusively by International Rectifier, which is one of the preferred manufacturers for overclockable VRMs. An IR eight-phase digital PWM is utilized to its maximum coupled with IR power stages. The inductors are also interesting because they are capable of 76A saturation current; the Cooper-Bussmann inductors provide high-power density, which is very important with X99. There are ten Nippon Chemi-Con polymer capacitors rated at 10K that provide a total of 5600uF for the output filter.
The IR3580 is an eight-phase digital PWM with IR's latest technology built into it. The PWM works well with IR3556, which are 50A integrated power stages. Using all International Rectifier parts allows certain International Rectifier technologies to be utilized, such as the Body-Breaking mode, to turn both internal MOSFETs off to increase overall efficiency.
Each set of two DIMMs has its own IR3570, which is a 3+2 phase digital PWM. It is being utilized as a 2+1 phase PWM. The first two phases power the main DDR4 voltage rail, and the +1 powers the VPP rail. Both the main DDR4 voltage and the VPP are powered by IR3553, which are 40A integrated power stages.
These are the IR3553 used for the VPP rails.
On the left is the Intel i218v that is a common complementary chip to the Intel NIC in the PCH. On the right is a NEC D720210, which is a 1:4 USB 3.0 hub to expand USB 3.0 to the backpanel.
The audio is powered by an ALC1150 that complements the Intel Azalia codec in the PCH.
These are the dual BIOS ROMs, each at 128Mbit/16MB. The main Super I/O which handles temperature, voltage, and fan monitoring and control is located right above it. The Super I/O is an iTE8620E complemented by four nuvoTon NCT3941S chips for fan control and secondary and tertiary embedded controllers. I will cover this in greater detail very soon.
These are the EC (embedded controller) chips responsible for OC functions. The first one is the one you typically find on GIGABYTE X99 motherboards that regulates fan control and basic OC features, but the second one is special for the socket and DIMMs.
These are NXP 2x PCI-E quick switches; they switch 8x of PCI-E 3.0 bandwidth from the first slot to the second when needed.
A secondary clock generator has been added to help BCLK overclocking, and this board seems to have extra linear regulators to help power the extra voltage rails for the extra pins in the socket.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging and the X99-SOC Champion]
- Page 3 [X99-SOC Force Circuit Analysis]
- Page 4 [BIOS and Software]
- Page 5 [Test Setup and Overclocking]
- Page 6 [CPU, Memory, and System Benchmarks]
- Page 7 [System IO Benchmarks]
- Page 8 [Temperature and Power Consumption]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Xiaomi Redmi Pro 2 specs leak: Dual camera, 3GB of RAM
- New leak confirms Samsung's Galaxy Note 8 design
- SAPPHIRE announces 'Mining Edition' Radeon RX cards
- Huawei Honor 9 is now available in Europe
- Vivo first with fingerprint sensor under mobile display
- BIOSTAR X370GTN Gaming Motherboard Review
- Intel Optane in RAID 0 - World's Fastest System Disk
- GIGABYTE Z270X-Designare Motherboard Review
- Intel SSD 5 545s 512GB SATA III SSD Review
- Logitech Circle 2 will be compatible with Amazon Echo Show
- Synology introduces DiskStation DS1517 and DS1817
- Deep Silver and 4A Games are proud to announce Metro Exodus
- Microsoft premieres Xbox One X, world's most powerful console
- Phison gears up for mobile phone market with PS8226 3D NAND eMMC 5.1 controller