Test System Setups
Now that we've covered a bit of the hype regarding this processor, lets start looking at what it can do. Since a majority of our readers tend to fall into the "Enthusiast" and "Gamer" categories, we'll be focusing on this aspect of performance. I'll be using both synthetic and real-world gaming applications so that we can try to have a complete picture as to how this expensive chunk of silicon compares to something a bit more conventional. Lets take a look at the test setup.
Athlon 64 FX System
Processor: Athlon 64 FX-53 @ 2400MHz (Supplied by Newegg.com)
Motherboard: MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum (nVidia nForce3 Ultra) (Supplied by MSI)
Athlon XP System
Processor: Athlon XP 2400+ Mobile @ 2305MHz
Motherboard: DFI LANParty NFII Ultra B (nVidia nForce2 Ultra 400) (Supplied by DFI)
Memory: 2x 256MB OCZ PC3500 Platinum (Supplied by OCZ)
Hard Drive: Western Digital 80GB "JB" w/ 8MB cache
Graphics: Sapphire Radeon X800 XT PE (Supplied by Sapphire)
Operating System: Windows XP Professional w/ SP1
Drivers: nForce 4.27, Catalyst 4.8, DirectX 9.0b
SiSoft Sandra 2004 Professional SP2
Massive Development AquaMark3
Kanada Lab Super PI
Quake III Arena
Unreal Tournament 2004
As I mentioned before, I'll be using a variety of benchmarking tools to try to help determine if the Athlon FX series processor is worthy of its hefty price tag. The comparison system is going to be running in an overclocked state under a water-cooled condition. No, it may not be exactly fair, but since most of us are already using a system in the same ballpark as the test rig, it should give us more realistic information to help us make a purchasing decision.
As a final note to testing, all benchmarking tools used are patched to their latest revisions with the exception of Quake III. This is in its original installed state so we can make use of the first demo files that came with the game.
Enough talk, lets get to the goods!
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- AMD FX-53 - Page 1 [Introduction]
- AMD FX-53 - Page 2 [The Processor]
- AMD FX-53 - Page 3 [Benchmarks - Test System Setups]
- AMD FX-53 - Page 4 [Benchmarks - SiSoft Sandra 2004]
- AMD FX-53 - Page 5 [Benchmarks - MadOnion/Futuremark]
- AMD FX-53 - Page 6 [Benchmarks - AquaMark3]
- AMD FX-53 - Page 7 [Benchmarks - Super PI]
- AMD FX-53 - Page 8 [Benchmarks - Quake III Arena]
- AMD FX-53 - Page 9 [Benchmarks - UT 2004]
- AMD FX-53 - Page 10 [Benchmarks - Doom 3]
- AMD FX-53 - Page 11 [Conclusion]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Red Dead Redemption 2 delayed to Spring 2018
- FF14: Stormblood's job level-up potions cost $25
- LG announces rugged smartphone - X Venture
- Destiny 2 replaces major subclasses and abilities
- Far Cry 5 isn't a Western, set in modern day Montana
- ASUS RT-AC1900p Wireless Router Review
- GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK with SSD M.2 Plextor M8PeG 256gb. low speed after shut down
- Prey Review: Dark Stars, Darker Thoughts
- Alien Covenant Movie Review
- Custom Storage Unit
- Western Digital sets new standard with latest generation in popular HGST-brand Ultrastar SAS SSD family
- AMD raises expectations for server performance, unveils EPYC processor brand for the datacenter
- HighPoint's SSD7101 PCIe board-sized drive series integrate Samsung 960 NVMe SSDs to deliver groundbreaking performance over 12GB/s
- Micron accelerates all-flash storage speed, performance and value with new flexible petabyte-scale enterprise data center solution
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 and 630 mobile platforms drive advanced photography, enhanced gaming, integrated connectivity and machine learning