Overclocking - Let's See How Far We Can Go
With a factory overclock already applied to the ZOTAC GeForce GTX 970 AMP! Extreme Edition, I didn't expect to pull much more from it. Well, I was pleasantly surprised when I continued to push the card that it just lapped up the additional stress to its already overclocked GPU.
Better yet, I was using the card at a three-day LAN with some friends, where it was getting a serious thrashing. Battlefield 4, H1Z1, and many more games were played for hours and hours per day at these overclocked settings, with the card not missing a single beat.
Just how far was I able to push the card? Battlefield 4 was rock solid with the Base Clock at 1403MHz, up from the 1203MHz default speeds while the Boost Clock was at a huge 1555MHz - up from the stock 1355MHz. I was even able to play with the memory and its 1800MHz (7.2GHz) and get it to 1902MHz (7.6GHz) all stable in Battlefield 4 at 1440p for hours and hours on end. I didn't require any additional power going into the card either.
We have some great improvements with our overclock on the ZOTAC GeForce GTX 970 AMP! Extreme Edition, with the additional speed adding 7FPS average on the Medium preset to our average frame rate, while the minimum FPS jumps from 91FPS to 110FPS.
The overclock on the ZOTAC GeForce GTX 970 AMP! Extreme Edition with Battlefield 4 on its Ultra preset (again, minus AA) results in a huge improvement on both the minimum and average FPS. We jump from the 48FPS to 72FPS, while our average scales up from 78FPS to a huge 97FPS. We definitely can't complain about these results!
Metro: Last Light
Metro: Last Light wasn't too stable with this overclock, but when we did get it running, we didn't see much of a performance benefit from overclocking our ZOTAC GeForce GTX 970 AMP! Extreme Edition, with an additional 1FPS to our average, for a total of 49FPS at 1440p.
3DMark Fire Strike Extreme - 1440p
A huge improvement for 3DMark with our overclock on the ZOTAC GeForce GTX 970 AMP! Extreme Edition, where we move up to close to GTX 980 performance. Over 10% additional performance, all for free. A great result, that's for sure.
Heaven - 1440p
Unigine's Heaven enjoyed our overclock on the card, seeing the average FPS go from 41FPS at stock clocks, to 46FPS with our overclock. This pushes us closer to the GTX 980 score of 56FPS, but it helps us beat the GTX 780 with its 44FPS. Not bad for free performance.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Packaging & Box Contents]
- Page 3 [Detailed Look]
- Page 4 [Card Specifications & Cooling Setup]
- Page 5 [Testing Method & Test System Configuration]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Synthetic (3DMark and Heaven)]
- Page 7 [Game Benchmarks (1080p)]
- Page 8 [Game Benchmarks (1440p)]
- Page 9 [Performance - 4K]
- Page 10 [Performance Summary]
- Page 11 [Overclocking]
- Page 12 [Power Consumption, Sound Testing and Software]
- Page 13 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- 8 minutes of new Prey gameplay footage released
- Titanfall 2 blog detailed the items of the in-game store
- AMD performance issues in Darksiders Warmastered fixed
- Microsoft testing Gears of War 4 PC, console crossplay
- Final Fantasy XV ships five million units in first day
- ROCCAT SOVA MK Gaming Lapboard Review
- ASRock 990fx extreme4 & Fast- Ultra Fast Boot Issues
- Fnatic Gear Clutch G1 Optical Gaming Mouse Review
- X99 Professional Gaming i7 and RAM question
- ADATA SV620 480GB Portable SSD Review
- Intel Extreme Masters Season 11 finals confirmed for two weekends in March with more than $600,000 in prizing
- Ultimate Media Ventures teams up with The Coalition for sanctioned December 18 Gears Of War 4 Pro-Am eSports Battle On The Strip Event
- Thecus introduces Scale-Out architecture to meet rising enterprise storage demand
- Plantronics launches RIG 800 series - first 24-hour wireless gaming headset
- Tesoro opens new product line with the release of its Zone Balance gaming chair