When NVIDIA launched the Maxwell architecture and the GeForce GTX 970 and GTX 980 GPUs, I was sitting there watching it unravel in front of me at NVIDIA's Editor's Day 2014 in Monterey Bay, California. When I landed back home a few days later, I had two shiny GeForce GTX 980s waiting for me, but no GeForce GTX 970s.
At that time, I wasn't the Video Card Editor, so it wasn't important for me to get a couple of each of the cards, so I left it. Now that I'm sitting in the Video Card Editor position, ZOTAC was more than happy to send me over a GTX 970 in the form of its GeForce GTX 970 AMP! Extreme Edition. This is the first high-end ZOTAC card I've tested, with the other card being the GeForce GTX 960 AMP! Edition, which I loved.
The GTX 970 AMP! Extreme Edition kicks it up a few notches, which is an understatement. We have a faster GPU thanks to the GM204-based GTX 970 rocking underneath some exotic cooling. ZOTAC has deployed some impressive cooling chops to this video card, with a back plate that keeps it cool and a triple-fan system that ensures no matter the job, the ZOTAC GeForce GTX 970 AMP! Extreme Edition can handle it.
ZOTAC has really driven off the road and onto the open road with this card, using its OC Plus technology, which is integrated real-time performance intelligence software, the IceStorm thermal design which keeps the card not only cool, but almost silent for most of its operation. We have a dual light active identification system that lights up differently depending on the load of the card. We have green or red on offer, or it will completely disable if you choose that.
When it comes to specs, ZOTAC has really added to the GeForce GTX 970 GPU with some impressive out-of-the-box overclocks, and more headroom allowed thanks to further overclocking. We have a triple-fan system with three 9cm fans that will keep the card cool, and dual 8-pin PCIe power connectors that will keep the card juiced up at all times.
Availability & Price
Amazon is currently listing the ZOTAC GeForce GTX 970 AMP! Extreme Edition 4GB card for $399.99, which is great considering the value that you get out of it, which we're going to dive into more over the following pages. There's plenty of stock available right now with Amazon, but as for your local retailer you'll have to ring up and check as always.
PRICING: You can find the Zotac GeForce GTX 970 AMP! Extreme Edition 4GB GDDR5 Graphics Card ZT-90103-10P for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing but can change at any time. Click the link to see the very latest pricing for the best deal.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Packaging & Box Contents]
- Page 3 [Detailed Look]
- Page 4 [Card Specifications & Cooling Setup]
- Page 5 [Testing Method & Test System Configuration]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Synthetic (3DMark and Heaven)]
- Page 7 [Game Benchmarks (1080p)]
- Page 8 [Game Benchmarks (1440p)]
- Page 9 [Performance - 4K]
- Page 10 [Performance Summary]
- Page 11 [Overclocking]
- Page 12 [Power Consumption, Sound Testing and Software]
- Page 13 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Knack 2 place further emphasis on 2 player co-op
- Rocket League gets a new map and a DLC car
- Battlefield 1 dev said shovel digging might come back
- South Korea is getting an online version of Titanfall
- Artificial intelligence creates a (bad) Christmas song
- Gigabyte gaming 5 z170mx cant enable raid need help
- ASUS UX305UA - time till boot starts varies a lot
- Ga z170m d3h ddr3-cf seek bios non-k_oc and kaby_support
- ROCCAT SOVA MK Gaming Lapboard Review
- ASRock 990fx extreme4 & Fast- Ultra Fast Boot Issues
- ENERMAX launches REVOLUTION SFX, with the highest wattage 650W full modular SFX Model in standard 100mm depth
- Intel Extreme Masters Season 11 finals confirmed for two weekends in March with more than $600,000 in prizing
- Ultimate Media Ventures teams up with The Coalition for sanctioned December 18 Gears Of War 4 Pro-Am eSports Battle On The Strip Event
- Thecus introduces Scale-Out architecture to meet rising enterprise storage demand
- Plantronics launches RIG 800 series - first 24-hour wireless gaming headset