Enterprise Performance 15K HDD v5 Internals
The Enterprise Performance TurboBoost 15K HDD v5 comes in the 2.5" form factor with a 15nmm z-height.
The drive appears similar to normal 2.5" drives. A foam pad resides between the PCB and drive housing, and thermal pads cover the controllers.
The SMOOTH/Seagate co-branded controller handles motor operations. A co-branded LSI/Seagate TT50431 controller is flanked by a 128MB Samsung DRAM package. The LSI controller is new to this generation of SSHD; the previous model featured a Marvell processor. The LSI/Seagate controller is the same model used on the standard 15K v5, but also handles the AMT caching algorithms, and the NAND chip that resides near the 12Gb/s SAS connection. The 12Gb/s SAS connection provides wide compatibility with the latest RAID controllers and HBAs.
Idle power consumption is a pain point in the datacenter. The Seagate Enterprise Performance TurboBoost 15K HDD v5 utilizes PowerChoice Technology, Seagate's proprietary implementation of the T10/T13 Approved Standard. PowerChoice provides four enhanced idle modes that place the drive into deeper quasi-sleep cycles to conserve power; the length of drive inactivity triggers these idle modes. The feature is enabled with a SAS Mode Page or SATA Set Feature command.
There is also the option for immediate host-initiated power transitions in a typical implementation. Once enabled, PowerChoice places the drive into successively deeper idle states with SAS/SATA commands, but each consecutive sleep mode requires more time for resumption. We did not test with enhanced PowerChoice states enabled.
The standard Enterprise Performance 15K HDD v5 provides a 6.4-watt average power draw during the idle power state. The Enterprise Performance TurboBoost model matches the same idle power draw, albeit after a short period of settling.
Enterprise Performance 15K HDD v5 Specifications
The 12Gb/s Seagate Enterprise Performance TurboBoost 15K HDD we are testing today features the 512E format with the ST600MX0052 part number. There are 4KN, 512E, SED, and FIPS 140-2 variants available with varying part numbers.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- How to build dynamic web apps with Angular JS
- Samsung Galaxy S8 rumored to rock a 4K display
- Google rumored to acquire Twitter, news to break soon
- No Man's Sky now has less than 1000 players on Steam
- Doom update adds Deathmatch, private matches
- Lian Li O Series Multiple Expansion card support
- asrock fatality h170 performance red light on bios and not monitor output no beeps
- Anidees AI Crystal Mid-Tower Chassis Review
- Ram upgrade and settings
- GIGABYTE X150M-PRO ECC Xeon Motherboard Review
- Antec and Razer team up to co-brand a new Mini-ITX gaming chassis
- Samsung Electronics accelerates the NVMe era for consumers with its highest performing 960 PRO and EVO Solid State Drives
- Lighting is in the Aer: NZXT launches Aer RGB, premium LED PWM fans
- Syber Gaming delivers VR and 4K-ready 'C Series' small form factor gaming PC
- HyperX Gears of War gaming headset shipping now