HD Tune Pro - Sequential Performance
Version and / or Patch Used: 5.50
There are just a few native PCIe M.2 based SSDs on the market today. These include the Plextor M6e / M6e Black Edition, and the Samsung XP941 (an OEM drive that enterprising e-tailers like RamCity in Australia managed to sell). Samsung has a successor to the XP941 that will be in our hands in a couple of days, and Plextor, along with several other Marvell customers, will have a PCIe four-lane controller named Altaplus soon as well.
We have a handful of drives in the charts today that are currently available. The M6e was tested with earlier firmware, but can be updated to the same firmware found on the Black Edition. From what we can tell, in this test with a single worker (QD1) and 64KB block sizes, the older firmware is faster than the shipping firmware on the Black Edition.
We noticed the same thing with the performance between the two Plextor drives in the sequential write test. On paper, the 512GB Black Edition should be faster than the 256GB standard M6e in nearly every test, but in this corner case with the older firmware, the original drive is faster.
HD Tach - Sequential Write Performance after Random Writes
Version and / or Patch Used: 188.8.131.52
After a reasonable number of sequential and random writes to turn on wear leveling, we tested the Plextor M6e Black Edition 512GB in HD Tach to measure 128KB sequential reads and writes. The M6e Black Edition managed to keep the sequential writes at high speeds throughout the test. We did observe two spikes in data flow, and one went down to as low as 250 MB/s.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Plextor M6e Black Edition 512GB PCIe SSD]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup and Initial Performance]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Sequential Performance]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Anvil Storage Utilities]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Mixed Read / Write Workloads]
- Page 7 [PCMark 8 Consistency Test]
- Page 8 [PCMark 8 Consistency Test - Continued]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Dragon Quest Builders FREE demo now available for users
- Black Ops 3 mod tools enter open beta
- Elon Musk wants to colonize Mars
- Wasteland 3 announced, features co-op play
- Pay any price for this 12-course Microsoft Office bundle
- U.2 Kit on Taichi
- Z170X-Gaming 5 - Thunderbolt controller + Intel RST drivers issue.
- Palit GeForce GTX 1070 GameRock Premium Edition Review
- GA-EX58-UD3R Vt-d support
- Seagate IronWolf 10TB NAS HDD Review
- Antec and Razer team up to co-brand a new Mini-ITX gaming chassis
- Lighting is in the Aer: NZXT launches Aer RGB, premium LED PWM fans
- Syber Gaming delivers VR and 4K-ready 'C Series' small form factor gaming PC
- HyperX Gears of War gaming headset shipping now