Plextor M6e Black Edition 512GB PCIe SSD
The Black Edition theme carries over to all aspects of this product, including the retail packaging.
Plextor lists the specifications for all three capacities on the back of the package, and also includes a list of features.
Inside, we found the card tucked away with dense foam securing the card for shipping.
In the package, you will receive a paper installation manual, a card with support contact numbers, the M6e Black Edition PCIe SSD, and a screw for installing the card in your PC.
The M6e Black Edition looks quite a bit different than the original M6e Plextor released last year. The new heat sink sets the tone right away, and the black PCB is a nice touch as well; together, the black and red combination will match a large number of motherboards and video cards on the market. All of the extra bling is actually functional as well.
These gold fingers bring the power and data into the SSD, and allow the M6e Black Edition to run on the PCIe bus.
During operation, air will flow past the heat sink on the card, and out of the rear of the back plate while exiting your system.
A look from the back shows the flame design. Plextor put a lot of thought into designing this product.
Thermal transfer material passes heat from the M.2 card to the heat sink.
The thermal transfer material covers the entire length of the M.2 SSD.
Although not used on this product, it appears Plextor worked on a version of the adapter card that put capacitors on the M.2 to PCIe adapter.
We didn't need to use it on our high-end enthusiast motherboard, but the M.2 adapter card has a SATA power plug, just in case you have any issues with your motherboard not being able to supply enough power to the M6e Black Edition.
The card also has pins for connecting LEDs to show SSD activity. The easiest way to use this is to unplug the HDD activity LED lead from the motherboard, and plug it directly into the M6e Black Edition.
The actual M.2 'gum stick' is cut for both M and B keys, so if you feel the desire to void your warranty, you can remove it and install the SSD in another device. There isn't any reason to do so at this time, but over time, you may want to install the SSD in a notebook; compatible models are coming to the market right now.
Plextor paired the Marvell 88SS9183 controller with Toshiba A19 flash.
In a standard system with the motherboard facing the intended direction, this is the side you will see. The black PCB looks a lot better than the standard green.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Plextor M6e Black Edition 512GB PCIe SSD]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup and Initial Performance]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Sequential Performance]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Anvil Storage Utilities]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Mixed Read / Write Workloads]
- Page 7 [PCMark 8 Consistency Test]
- Page 8 [PCMark 8 Consistency Test - Continued]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- For Honor PC requirements revealed
- Take a closer look at the Xbox One's 28nm APU die
- New images of the upcoming LG G6 leaked
- COD: Infinite Warfare - best-selling game of 2016 in US
- The entire gaming market slumped 12% in the US last year
- headphones not registering on ASUS k501uq
- Black screen GA Z170X ULTRA GAMING BIOS F21 I7 6400 T HELP
- hp printer technical support
- How to prevent pc from waking up from sleep when a brown out occurs?
- Z170MX-Gaming 5 + i5 7600k.. Should work or not?
- Transcend reveals industrial-grade SuperMLC JetFlash 740 USB flash drive for exceptional performance and endurance
- Light up your gaming with BIOSTAR B250 motherboard series
- MSI the pioneer in VR Gaming crowns winners of VR JAM
- NGE and Twitch partner to bring the Overwatch Winter Premiere Live Finals to PAX Arena at PAX South
- Bayview Labs, Seraph Group and MIT Game Lab announce 'Play Labs' VR/AR/AI Playful Tech Accelerator for MIT students and alumni