Enterprise Performance 15K HDD v5 Internals
Mention 479 areal density, perhaps in intro?
The Enterprise Performance 15K HDD v5 comes in the 2.5" form factor with a 15nmm z-height.
The two main processing components are outfitted with thermal pads to assist in heat dissipation. A foam pad reduces vibration between the PCB and drive housing. There are several accelerometers spaced across the PCB to help detect, and thus counteract, vibration in rack environments.
The Seagate-SMOOTH co-branded controller handles motor operations. A co-branded LSI/Seagate TT50431 controller handles drive operations, and is flanked by a 128MB Samsung multi-segmented DRAM package.
The 12Gb/s SAS connection provides wide compatibility with the latest RAID controllers and HBA's.
Idle power consumption is a pain point in the datacenter. The Seagate Enterprise Performance 15K HDD v5 utilizes PowerChoice Technology, Seagate's proprietary implementation of the T10/T13 Approved Standard. PowerChoice provides 4 enhanced idle modes that place the drive into deeper quasi-sleep cycles to conserve power, and is triggered by the length of drive inactivity. The feature is enabled with a SAS Mode Page or SATA Set Feature command. There is also the option for immediate host-initiated power transitions in a typical implementation. Once enabled, PowerChoice places the drive into successively deeper idle states with SAS/SATA commands, but each consecutive sleep mode requires more time for resumption. We did not test with enhanced PowerChoice states enabled.
The Enterprise Performance 15K HDD v5 provides a 6.4-watt average power draw during the idle power state. It is important to note this measurement is without PowerChoice technology activated; the drive can idle lower when using PowerChoice. The 600GB 15K v5 features more capacity than the 147GB and 300GB competitors do; on an idle Watts-per-GB basis the 15K v5 offers superior idle power consumption metrics.
Enterprise Performance 15K HDD v5 Specifications
The 12Gb/s Seagate Enterprise Performance 15K HDD v5 HDD we are testing today features the 512E format with the ST600MP0035 part number. There are 4KN, 512n, 512E, SED, and FIPS variants available with varying part numbers.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Enterprise Performance 15K HDD v5 Internals and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Test System and Methodology]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 4k Random Read/Write]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - 8k Random Read/Write]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - 128k Sequential Read/Write]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Database/OLTP]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Email Server]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- 'xXx 4' is a go, with Vin Diesel to return
- Major flaw found in Intel CPUs and HT, needs BIOS fix
- Apple talks about designing the touchscreen for iPhone
- Facebook pays up to $3 million per ep for original shows
- Intel's next-gen 6C/12T: competes with AMD Ryzen 5 1600X
- modded my x79-ud3 bios, processor support question
- The Mummy Movie Review
- Computer freeze and audio buzz issue
- AZZA Photios 250 Mid-Tower Chassis Review
- Team T-Force Dark ROG DDR4-3000 16GB Memory Kit Review
- Logitech Circle 2 will be compatible with Amazon Echo Show
- Synology introduces DiskStation DS1517 and DS1817
- Deep Silver and 4A Games are proud to announce Metro Exodus
- Microsoft premieres Xbox One X, world's most powerful console
- Phison gears up for mobile phone market with PS8226 3D NAND eMMC 5.1 controller