HD Tune Pro - Sequential Performance
Version and / or Patch Used: 5.50
Even in the smaller capacities, it's not difficult for modern SSDs to read sequential data back at the limits of SATA 6Gbps. This test uses 64KB blocks, and shows the Samsung 850 EVO averaging a sequential read speed just over 470 MB/s. The result is one of the highest on the chart, and is even just a hair higher than Samsung's flagship 850 Pro 256GB drive.
Most users will find that their money is actually spent on trying to obtain higher write performance. As flash lithography shrinks in size, the latency increases. 3-bit per cell technology (TLC) allows SSD makers to increase the density of the flash without significant increase in cost. The downside to TLC flash is increased latency, and subsequent slower data writes from the host. Samsung's V-NAND technology doesn't take as large of a performance hit as the 2D planar TLC used in the 840 EVO or SanDisk's Ultra II, but there is still a performance penalty when writing large files that fill the SLC buffer to the drive.
HD Tach - Sequential Write Performance after Random Writes
Version and / or Patch Used: 126.96.36.199
In this test, we can see the drop off from the SLC area to the TLC area while writing to the drive with 128KB blocks. The Samsung 850 EVO 250GB starts out writing the sequential data at 450 MB/s, but after passing the 90GB mark, the sequential write speed drops to around 275 MB/s.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Bloody new 'Logan' trailer embraces hard R-rating
- Buy Resident Evil 7 on Xbox One, get it on the PC, too
- Zelda: Breath of the Wild has an awesome physics engine
- Hitman goes HDR on PC, PS4, Xbox One next week
- It's morphin time for new 'Power Rangers' trailer
- How to prevent pc from waking up from sleep when a brown out occurs?
- Z170MX-Gaming 5 + i5 7600k.. Should work or not?
- ASRock 2.70 Splash Screen replaces Windows?
- bios update
- How to get larger than 2TB HD to work on GA-P35-DS4 Rev 2.0
- Transcend reveals industrial-grade SuperMLC JetFlash 740 USB flash drive for exceptional performance and endurance
- Light up your gaming with BIOSTAR B250 motherboard series
- MSI the pioneer in VR Gaming crowns winners of VR JAM
- NGE and Twitch partner to bring the Overwatch Winter Premiere Live Finals to PAX Arena at PAX South
- Bayview Labs, Seraph Group and MIT Game Lab announce 'Play Labs' VR/AR/AI Playful Tech Accelerator for MIT students and alumni