HD Tune Pro - Sequential Performance
Version and / or Patch Used: 5.50
Even in the smaller capacities, it's not difficult for modern SSDs to read sequential data back at the limits of SATA 6Gbps. This test uses 64KB blocks, and shows the Samsung 850 EVO averaging a sequential read speed just over 470 MB/s. The result is one of the highest on the chart, and is even just a hair higher than Samsung's flagship 850 Pro 256GB drive.
Most users will find that their money is actually spent on trying to obtain higher write performance. As flash lithography shrinks in size, the latency increases. 3-bit per cell technology (TLC) allows SSD makers to increase the density of the flash without significant increase in cost. The downside to TLC flash is increased latency, and subsequent slower data writes from the host. Samsung's V-NAND technology doesn't take as large of a performance hit as the 2D planar TLC used in the 840 EVO or SanDisk's Ultra II, but there is still a performance penalty when writing large files that fill the SLC buffer to the drive.
HD Tach - Sequential Write Performance after Random Writes
Version and / or Patch Used: 184.108.40.206
In this test, we can see the drop off from the SLC area to the TLC area while writing to the drive with 128KB blocks. The Samsung 850 EVO 250GB starts out writing the sequential data at 450 MB/s, but after passing the 90GB mark, the sequential write speed drops to around 275 MB/s.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Bitcoin reaches record high pricing of $4500
- Ethereum difficulty squeezing out the small miners
- Destiny 2's day one update already confirmed
- Quake Champions frags itself into Early Access on Aug 22
- Battlegrounds updates will soon slow down
- ASUS ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 Wireless Gaming Router Review
- corsair vengeance lpx 16gb ddr4-2400 problem on asus x370 pro motherboard
- Synology DS1817 8-Bay NAS (Tested at 10Gbps) Review
- ASRock X399 Taichi Threadripper TR4 Motherboard Review
- Samsung Portable SSD T5 500GB and 2TB Review
- Optimize system performance with new drive adapter
- Lian Li reveals new PC-Q39 tempered glass Mini-ITX tower
- Longsys' world-first 11.5x13mm NVMe BGA SSD drives new mobile user experience
- Thermaltake attends NVIDIA Gamer Connect
- ASRock introduces the X10 IoT router for smart homes