Sequential Mixed Read / Write Workloads
In this series of tests, we measure mixed workload performance. We start with 100% read, and then add data writes to the mix in 10% increments until we get to 100% writes. We believe this will be the next major area SSD manufacturers will address, after performance consistency.
Sequential Mixed Workload Bandwidth
We have three drives highlighted in our sequential mixed workload chart, where all of the drives are tested in steady state. This mimics heavy sequential workloads with a lot of data, like editing very large videos. Samsung's SSDs usually do poorly here since the garbage collection scheme is aggressive. The 850 EVO doesn't drop off nearly as low as the previous generation mainstream Samsung SSD, the 840 EVO. There is some variation as the mix gets closer to 50% reads and 50% writes taking place at the same time, but the drop off is nothing like the 840 EVO.
Sequential 80% Read / 20% Write Bandwidth
At the 80% read / 20% write mix, the 850 EVO is right with the 850 Pro. This is starting to sound like a theme; the 850 EVO is much closer to the performance of the flagship 850 Pro than the 840 EVO was to the 840 Pro.
Random Mixed Workload Response Time
The random 4K 50% read / 50% write mixed IOPS performance again shows the 850 EVO performing almost identically to the 850 Pro in all but the lowest queue depth tested. At QD2 (because you can't have a read / write operation at QD1), the 850 EVO trails the Pro model, but at QD4, the performance really picks up.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Samsung's Galaxy Tab S3 with stylus introduced at MWC
- Did you want a Nokia Android smartphone? Here are three!
- Huawei unveils the Watch 2 and Watch 2 Classic
- Enter the 'Doctor Strange' world in our Blu-ray giveaway
- Huawei unveils the P10 and P10 Plus
- Will the PC-Q17 ever be released in the U.S?
- Blind BIOS update both backup and main BIOS chips are empty
- Main and backup BIOS are damaged or wipped
- Halo Wars 2 Xbox One Review
- Asus Zenfone 2 Laser 5.5s rear camera is not working
- Dolby Laboratories and LG Electronics announce first smartphone to support Dolby Vision
- Meet the HUAWEI P10, a stunning combination of technology and art
- Samsung expands tablet portfolio with Galaxy Tab S3 and Galaxy Book, offering enhanced mobile entertainment and productivity
- Razer releases power bank smart charge mobile accessory
- LG unveils new G6 with a large fullvision display tailored to fit in one hand