From the start, we didn't hold our breath with this motherboard as it seemed more like a server platform, however, when we delved into it, we could see Gigabyte moving it into a high performance integrated overclockers motherboard - in reality it's a mix of both worlds.
While it does support overclocking features, they aren't enough for an avid overclocker. DRAM voltages and FSB adjustments are fantastic, with great range in both, as is the ability to lock the AGP, PCI and SATA clocks, the fact is that Gigabyte has for some time, been rather limited in the DRAM and AGP/Chipset voltage adjustments, which are now just as important as having a good FSB and Vcore range. Without a good amount of DRAM voltage, your FSB can go all the way to 1000MHz and CPU voltage can go to 3.0v, but if you are limited to 2.8v for memory and only 1.7v for the chipset, you are going to hit a big wall very quick, and this is so with the Gigabyte 8KNXP Ultra64. We have seen this in too many motherboards now to simply put it down to a single bad bunch, something now has to change fro Gigabyte to take on the big names like ABIT and ASUS, who now offer ultra voltage options on their motherboards.
Overall the onboard features were fantastic, with PCI and PCI-X for high speed peripherals, Ultra320 SCSI for those of you how can afford those monster process for the fastest drives available the option is there as well as CSA Gigabit Ethernet for high bandwidth LAN. In all a great featured motherboard is unfortunately overshadowed by a very poor overclocking set and slightly annoying placement of certain components onboard.
Supports 6 Phase power for Prescott stability
6 DDR slots
Silicon Image SATA controller
Very limited DRAM and AGP/Chipset voltage options
Rating - 7.5 out of 10
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Gigabyte 8KNXP Ultra 64 - Page 1 [Introduction]
- Gigabyte 8KNXP Ultra 64 - Page 2 [Specifications]
- Gigabyte 8KNXP Ultra 64 - Page 3 [Features]
- Gigabyte 8KNXP Ultra 64 - Page 4 [Features Continued and Overclocking]
- Gigabyte 8KNXP Ultra 64 - Page 5 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and Sandra 2004]
- Gigabyte 8KNXP Ultra 64 - Page 6 [Benchmarks - PCMark04]
- Gigabyte 8KNXP Ultra 64 - Page 7 [Benchmarks - 3DMark03]
- Gigabyte 8KNXP Ultra 64 - Page 8 [Benchmarks - Aquamark3]
- Gigabyte 8KNXP Ultra 64 - Page 9 [Benchmarks - Halo PC]
- Gigabyte 8KNXP Ultra 64 - Page 10 [Benchmarks - Jedi Knight II]
- Gigabyte 8KNXP Ultra 64 - Page 11 [Benchmarks - Unreal Tournament 2003]
- Gigabyte 8KNXP Ultra 64 - Page 12 [Conclusion]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- AMD teases 8K graphics workload on Radeon RX Vega
- AMD launches dual-GPU Radeon Pro Duo with 32GB of GDDR5
- Dawn of War III PC Steam deals are up to 25% off
- Colorful announces iGame GTX 1080 Ti Vulcan X OC
- What Zelda: Breath of the Wild would look like on NES
- AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11G Review
- Intel Optane Memory 32GB M.2 NVMe SSD Review
- ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 K6 USB 3.1/TB Issues
- HyperX Pulsefire FPS Gaming Mouse Review
- Hidrate Spark 2.0 Bluetooth Smart Bottle Review
- SAPPHIRE introduces new PULSE graphics card family
- HyperX Cloud Revolver S gaming headset now shipping
- SK Hynix introduces industry's fastest 8Gb graphics DRAM (GDDR6)
- Samsung and Amazon Video deliver next generation HDR video experience with updated open standard HDR10+
- AmpliFi HD Mesh Wi-Fi Available at Best Buy, GameStop and Sam's Club