From the start, we didn't hold our breath with this motherboard as it seemed more like a server platform, however, when we delved into it, we could see Gigabyte moving it into a high performance integrated overclockers motherboard - in reality it's a mix of both worlds.
While it does support overclocking features, they aren't enough for an avid overclocker. DRAM voltages and FSB adjustments are fantastic, with great range in both, as is the ability to lock the AGP, PCI and SATA clocks, the fact is that Gigabyte has for some time, been rather limited in the DRAM and AGP/Chipset voltage adjustments, which are now just as important as having a good FSB and Vcore range. Without a good amount of DRAM voltage, your FSB can go all the way to 1000MHz and CPU voltage can go to 3.0v, but if you are limited to 2.8v for memory and only 1.7v for the chipset, you are going to hit a big wall very quick, and this is so with the Gigabyte 8KNXP Ultra64. We have seen this in too many motherboards now to simply put it down to a single bad bunch, something now has to change fro Gigabyte to take on the big names like ABIT and ASUS, who now offer ultra voltage options on their motherboards.
Overall the onboard features were fantastic, with PCI and PCI-X for high speed peripherals, Ultra320 SCSI for those of you how can afford those monster process for the fastest drives available the option is there as well as CSA Gigabit Ethernet for high bandwidth LAN. In all a great featured motherboard is unfortunately overshadowed by a very poor overclocking set and slightly annoying placement of certain components onboard.
Supports 6 Phase power for Prescott stability
6 DDR slots
Silicon Image SATA controller
Very limited DRAM and AGP/Chipset voltage options
Rating - 7.5 out of 10
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Gigabyte 8KNXP Ultra 64 - Page 1 [Introduction]
- Gigabyte 8KNXP Ultra 64 - Page 2 [Specifications]
- Gigabyte 8KNXP Ultra 64 - Page 3 [Features]
- Gigabyte 8KNXP Ultra 64 - Page 4 [Features Continued and Overclocking]
- Gigabyte 8KNXP Ultra 64 - Page 5 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and Sandra 2004]
- Gigabyte 8KNXP Ultra 64 - Page 6 [Benchmarks - PCMark04]
- Gigabyte 8KNXP Ultra 64 - Page 7 [Benchmarks - 3DMark03]
- Gigabyte 8KNXP Ultra 64 - Page 8 [Benchmarks - Aquamark3]
- Gigabyte 8KNXP Ultra 64 - Page 9 [Benchmarks - Halo PC]
- Gigabyte 8KNXP Ultra 64 - Page 10 [Benchmarks - Jedi Knight II]
- Gigabyte 8KNXP Ultra 64 - Page 11 [Benchmarks - Unreal Tournament 2003]
- Gigabyte 8KNXP Ultra 64 - Page 12 [Conclusion]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Battlefield 5: Eastern Front rumors are reportedly fake
- Samsung 'Bedtime VR Stories' is a truly new way of telling stories
- First Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare trailer now live
- Without the reconstruction tech, Quantum Break looks incredible at 4K
- Forza Motorsport 6: Apex requires 16GB RAM for gaming at 4K 60FPS
- Sabertooth Z170 S - Accessory fan
- C2750D4I BMC Self Test Status Failure
- WD 1TB Black drive memory dump while Win 7 installed.
- Corsair K70 RGB RAPIDFIRE Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- Creative Sound Blaster Roar Pro Bluetooth Portable Speaker Review
- ASRock and Intel teams up to create one of the smallest mini PCs: DeskMini
- Sapphire launches Radeon Pro Duo for ultimate VR & 4K experience
- Seagate now shipping 10TB helium enterprise drive in volume
- ENERMAX announces the new DFR technology with D.F.PRESSURE
- World's first 24/7 esports TV channel launched